Java 1.6 for Mac finally here

I was looking for the right place to put this. Not sure this is it. Mac developers might want a gander at one of the following links (they should each be the same candy in a different wrapper).

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/javaformacosx105update1.html

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/javaformacosx105update1.html

After installing 1.6 you’ll probably also have to go to the Java Preferences application which is in the /Applications/Utilities/java folder. There is a section there for “Java Application Runtime Settings” and you can move 1.6 to the top.

Yeah, this was already posted in the "java 1.6 on mac" topic. Also, you can just use software updater to get this download.

It's only intel 64 bit too. However seems like LWJGL 2.0 will support 64 bit! http://lwjgl.org/forum/index.php?topic=2607

Hum. Software update didn’t get it for me. Or else something else is wrong, like I don’t have a 64 bit mac.

I did finally find the post of which you speak:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=6488.msg61471#msg61471

Yes. Java 6 for Mac is 64 Bit and Leopard only.

Which Mac do you have?

I think it is time for us to find an alternative. I am starting to work on some tests with Soylatte. Currently LWJGL does not recognize it, so my first aim is to modify LWJGL to recognize Soylatte. To do that it is needed to implement a specialized set of native libraries for Mac. And add some code in LWJGL Java.

Next step (:wink: not wanted citation) is to implement Aqua/AWT implementation for Soylatte (that could be not related to LWJGL+jME).

If any Mac developer here is interested to join, contact me, please.

Question for the mac users, does this 1.6 update also address the "Swing dropdown list"-problem? Since, if I remember correctly, hotfix b8 of 1.6 addressed this but perhaps that fix is included with this Mac release?

IMO Apple really dropped the ball here, and I'm incredibly disappointed. By making it 64 bit only it's created the requirement for every native library you use be 64 bit. So, basically, deployment requires the Apple to be treated as two separate platforms (1.6 and everything else). I was really excited to get 1.6 (combined with the LWJGL 64 bit build) at work and get all the 1.6 benefits… only to realize that a lot of the other native libs we use are not 64 bit.

Seems to me this is mostly used for serverside stuff (didn't someone here say it only included the server VM too?)

Maybe we'll still get a "consumer" release at some later point…

Right, it is the server VM. I hope you are correct and this is not meant as a consumer release, but I haven't seen anything to indicate this to be the case.

It is the typical policy of Apple to not make aware customers of future plans. Though I think that no Client VM will be released for Tiger.

Also the Developer Preview for Tiger, previously available on ADC is not anymore available. I got a copy from a non official site.

The good news, at least for developers, is that I have been able to install and run it on top of Tiger, as an alternative JVM, without affecting stable Java 1.5 implementation. System still uses Java 5, by default, and it is not aware I have installed Java 6 somewhere else in the filesystem; but I am able to use Developer Preview from Eclipse. Though, I have not tested all jME demos yet.

Ender said:

It is the typical policy of Apple to not make aware customers of future plans. Though I think that no Client VM will be released for Tiger.

Also the Developer Preview for Tiger, previously available on ADC is not anymore available. I got a copy from a non official site.

The good news, at least for developers, is that I have been able to install and run it on top of Tiger, as an alternative JVM, without affecting stable Java 1.5 implementation. System still uses Java 5, by default, and it is not aware I have installed Java 6 somewhere else in the filesystem; but I am able to use Developer Preview from Eclipse. Though, I have not tested all jME demos yet.

Do you have time to make a small guide on how to get jME running with Java 6 on MacOS? I was trying to get jME running yesterday, but I didn't get it to work.

Well if you've read the thread, you can't really. Or rather shouldn't.

There's only an unsupported slightly illegal to use developer preview for tiger, and only a server-vm based 64 bit version for Leopard (for which you would in the very least need LWJGL2 beta, which jME doesn't use yet).

rvanrijn said:

Do you have time to make a small guide on how to get jME running with Java 6 on MacOS? I was trying to get jME running yesterday, but I didn't get it to work.

You should tell me what Mac OS version you have.
For Leopard is simple, install Java 6 for Mac OS X and follow Eclipse or Netbeans tutorials in jME wiki. JVM is automatically recognized by Eclipse in jME. For Netbeans I am not an expert and I do not use it so, I cannot help.

For Tiger you have to get a copy of the Java 6 Developer Preview (currently it is not anymore available in the ADC site), and unpack it usign "unpkg" a Finder application that unpacks *.pkg packages without actually install them. It creates a directory with content of package in the same directory where is the package, if writable, else it creates it in the Desktop. Then you have to adjust all links, in the directory created, to point to the correct locations. Some links in the Java 6 package point to resources located to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK (because they are inteded to be installed there). But your CurrentJTK folder, in Tiger, is Java 5 while your haked Java 6 folder is unpacked somewhere else, for example: /Users/yourusername/Desktop/JavaSE6Release1. Then you have to change all the links accordingly to their new installation path.

After that you need to let dyld find Java 6 dynamic libraries. Just place a link this way:

sudo ln -s /Users/yourusername/Desktop/JavaSE6Release1/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0 /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0

Pay attention to use the paths where you actually unpacked your Java 6 DP.

Now dyld will find Java VM dynamic libraries.
llama said:

There's only an unsupported slightly illegal to use developer preview for tiger

Honestly I do not care if it is illegal. I payed a lot of money for my Mac Pro with Tiger (and Leopard) and, even if I love Apple hardware and Mac OS and I like a lot most of the things that Jobs, developers and designers do, I am totally disappointed and concerned about Apple Java marketing policy they are pushing forward. Moreover I read the answer of some developer in the Apple Java Mailing list that made me astonished. They think we (Java developers) should all report a bug in the Apple bug traker to ask for a updated Java version for Tiger. I think that it is ridiculous, how can community be more clear about this argument? If you search google for Tiger Java 6 you only find discussion of developers that hope to see somewhere in time a final release.

I'm running Leopard on a Mac Pro so I have installed the update. I didn't get it to work because I was using the wrong LWJGL version. Thanks for pointing that out.

Like everyone else I'm disappointed that Apple doesn't release a proper version of Java 6. I will use Java 5 for my jME development until they do.

I hope Java 6 is released on MacOS before the release of Java 7 on other platforms…