Java heap space error whilst converting model

Hi everyone,
I have a problem when converting models (.obj) to .j3o I get a java heap space error. I have altered the project properties VM option to be -Xmx2048m but this does not seem to have any effect. This seems to happen in both 3.0 and 3.1
The file I am converting is only 5MB in size and my system has 16GB of RAM so I do not see a problem with available memory; am I missing some other setting to tell the JVM to extend the available heap?
Additionally, once this occurs the SDK locks up in the “converting model” operation.

Thanks for any help.

What kind of heap space error?

If it’s a direct memory heap space error then setting -Xmx higher is just as useful as picking your nose. (ie: neither will be effective)

Hey @PatrickJ, I had the same problem with a model in obj format. While converting it, it kind of stucks in this process and uses more and more memory, until it crashes or is out of memory. That might be related to your model: Are you using some special filters, mirrors, or something like that? However, I solved it by exporting my model with ogre format. I hope it solves your problem as well.

SOLVED: thanks for the memory jogger. Yes once I had modified the _JAVA_OPTIONS setting for the system everything works correctly both in 3.0 and 3.1.

Thanks for your help.