JCEngine: A powerful extension to jME

JCEngine: A powerful extension to jME

This is my new project: JCEngine. JCEngine, which originally stood for JavaCity Engine (but now it doesn’t stand for anything. it was originally named for a game I am working on, but I digress), is a full engine that uses jME. jME can’t really be called an ‘engine’, since it can’t really run on its own (excuse me if that isn’t your view of what an engine is, but that is what mine is). JCEngine is a full engine that can run without any modification (though it won’t do much), and it adds quite a few features:

• JCE XML Map format (see below)

• Entity (both physical and point) system

• Logging

• And more to come!

JCE XML Map format
The JCE map format allows use of every type of model and scene that jME does, but also allows combining multiple scenes and also placing JCE entities. It uses a very basic XML file format that also allows for metadata.

A link will be posted to the project website as soon as it is up.

What do you mean by “can’t run on its own”?

Some examples of code and stuff would be usefull since i cant really imagine why i should use your Engine isntead of the good old monkey.

For me, the jME is a engine… A good engine. Serious monkeys, serious engine. * angry monkey face *

When you press compile you get a complete application for Windows, OSX and Linux, whats not “on its own” there? xD

I mean that it is more of a framework, compared to something like source or unreal. Source and unreal are playable unmodified, and to me, that is what an engine is. Other opinions of what an ‘engine’ is may differ, but this is supposed to provide more of a base for a game. I’m not saying that jME isn’t enough to make a game quickly, but hell, I love being able to reuse code.

JCEngine is a full engine that can run without any modification (though it won't do much), and it adds quite a few features:

• JCE XML Map format (see below)

• Entity (both physical and point) system

• Logging

• And more to come!

JCE XML Map format
The JCE map format allows use of every type of model and scene that jME does, but also allows combining multiple scenes and also placing JCE entities. It uses a very basic XML file format that also allows for metadata.
A link will be posted to the project website as soon as it is up.

Yes, good to hear that coming cause it's good to have a Map format and Entity System (which I'm now developing the same things since I've started with JME :p)
jME can't really be called an 'engine', since it can't really run on its own (excuse me if that isn't your view of what an engine is, but that is what mine is).

Man, with all the respect, I have to say your opinion is kind of rude and misunderstood ...
An Engine is NOT a "bunch-of-code-ready-to-click-execute" or "project-that-tied-with-some-gameplay" ...
I really think JME have a definitely good architect and structure, help to solve a various of platform and difficult problem and YES , it's an ENGINE - for what an Engine means ...
For the JCE which you are working for, I think It's good enough to call it an extension or and expanse of JME cause it's really fill the missing hole of what "real-playable-template" means for an engine...
And you're more than welcome if you show us something can prove that you have a better design for a game engine !!!!
redxdev said:
I mean that it is more of a framework, compared to something like source or unreal. Source and unreal are playable unmodified, and to me, that is what an engine is. Other opinions of what an 'engine' is may differ, but this is supposed to provide more of a base for a game. I'm not saying that jME isn't enough to make a game quickly, but hell, I love being able to reuse code.

No, I think you are getting some things wrong here. First of all Unreal Tournament is a game and the Unreal Engine is what its made with. Unreal is kind of an example game for the Unreal Engine. Source engine is also not "playable" unless you play one of the games created with it. What you are decribing is a game bundled with some modding tools at best and in fact we even deliver that with jMP and MonkeyZone. But you can predefine only so much without restricting the users possibilities. You can make more than ego shooters with Unreal Engine and just as jME its only a bunch of prepared programming parts. You dont really think all the games "made with Unreal Engine" started off of the Unreal game code? xD

Source is playable w/o any modification, first of all. Second of all, I’m sorry if my definition of a game engine is different from yours. My project adds the features that I listed, and just pretty much extends jME. Sorry if I offended anyone saying it isn’t an engine. Still, though, jME doesn’t have a full entity system, and JCE will also be adding an input/output system, akin to Source’s.

redxdev said:
Source is playable w/o any modification, first of all. Second of all, I'm sorry if my definition of a game engine is different from yours. My project adds the features that I listed, and just pretty much extends jME. Sorry if I offended anyone saying it isn't an engine. Still, though, jME doesn't have a full entity system, and JCE will also be adding an input/output system, akin to Source's.

Source is an engine, there is nothing you could "play" in an engine. Its true that you get a basic FPS when you execute the demos but maybe you dont want to do an FPS? Entities (á la goto etc.) are only useful in a certain context (e.g. NPC's in a RPG or Bots in a FPS). jME3 brings all tools to make your Spatials entities and extend them with certain functionality. Again, look at the MonkeyZone code to see how that is done.. Maybe you are better suited with something like the NWN extension editor or a modding package for Unreal..

You know the “E” in jME stands for Engine…what did you expect coming here saying “guys, your thing is not really an engine, but I’m planning to add what’s missing to make it something worthy…”?

There is no Entity system, because we think it’s a Game design choice. instead of including it in the engine, we provide an example of an Entity system in MonkeyZone.

You want to go further and provide a Framework over jME for an Entity system, fine, that’s a good idea, go ahead.

But you should mind your words if you want the community to support your idea.

I guess it’s just a communication fumble…

Ok. I need to restate what this is. You guys have convinced me to the contrary of what I said. Here is my new statement of what JCE is:

JCE is an extension of jME that adds features, such as an entity system, plugins, an input/output system akin to Source engine’s, and more!

JCE is supposed to provide an extended base to any game using jME.