–jdkhome command-line switch needed to find jdk in netbeans when jmoneky starts in Windows 7 x64

The Jmonkeyplatform crashed every time I tried to run it after a successful install using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS with the following warning error window popping-up:

“The JDK is missing and is required to run some NetBeans modules Please use the --jdkhome command line option to specify a JDK installation or see FaqRunningOnJre - NetBeans Wiki for more information.”

I struggled with how to use the --jdkhome command-line switch for several hours researching and trial/error so that when I started JM3 with the jmonkeyplatform.exe desktop shortcut in Windows 7 64-bit OS, JM3 would actually load everything correctly without having to use a command prompt interface with the --jdkhome switch each time to open.

NOTE All the slashes in directory locations below are shown in reverse direction from what they will need to be in order to work because this forum removes the forward slashes in the post submission process.

I use multiple OS’s on my computer, so my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS is the F: drive instead of the usual C: drive. I installed the Java 6u21 EE with Glassfish version 3 from java.com on my machine with the default setttings, and it put my java JDK in “F:/glassfishv3/jdk”. I am also using Netbeans IDE 6.9.1 environment in it’s default install location.

After learning the correct syntax for the --jdkhome switch, and some experimentation, I discovered putting the the line shown below in the Target: text box of the desktop shortcut for Jmonkeyplatform that the jmonkeplatform opens and appears to load correctly with no errors. You can see and edit the shortcut “Target:” text field after you right click on the shortcut and then left click on properties.

“F:/Program Files (x86)/jmonkeyplatform/bin/jmonkeyplatform.exe” --jdkhome “F:/glassfishv3/jdk”

I did not try to load the JME components from within Netbeans yet, so I don’t know if this resolves this loading error or not. Also, there may very well be a more efficient method to do the same thing. If you happen to come up with a better solution, I at least would love to see it.

May honor always know your deeds well,

Lyzonlighteart

you can specify the path to the jdk in jmonkeyplatform/etc/jmonkeyplatform.conf (“jdkhome”).

I started getting this too, but it was detecting it automatically through out alpha1 and even the first couple runs of alpha2, does it keep a start-up /error log or something. downloaded installed and ran Oct 7th and a few times in between no issues…noticed this a couple days ago tried re-install and still got the error, eclipse works set it to use the jre inside the jdk no issues

and I have never set the jdkhome variable

Dont know how the JDK is normally registered in Windows, guess through the “Registry”. Any chance those keys got deleted? Did you try reinstalling the JDK so all paths are set correctly?

normen said:
Dont know how the JDK is normally registered in Windows, guess through the "Registry". Any chance those keys got deleted? Did you try reinstalling the JDK so all paths are set correctly?

no I didn't, need to download an updated version so I'll install that soon and report back..................just weird that it will simply lose the jdk

Yeah, windows is weird…