jME Physics System Roadmap

I don't think there is any real development occurring on jME-Physics except bug-fixes and features when they are needed.

The last time we discussed, the idea had been raised that jME-Physics needs to be re-worked to not be ODE-specific which really would require an entire re-write of jME-Physics (which is also good for a number of other reasons).

darkfrog

yeah, a java wrapper for novodex/physx and/or the newton game dynamics would be nice  :smiley:

Be careful what you wish for. :wink:

darkfrog

really need to get my hands dirty on SWIG and jni…

anyone got an answer to jme-physics and trianglemesh->primitive collisions?

MrCoder said:

anyone got an answer to jme-physics and trianglemesh->primitive collisions?

If you mean that both were dynamic I think it does not work yet. And I'm not sure if ODE can handle it, either. As soon as ODE handles it correctly it shouldn't be hard to have it in jme-physics as well.

ode has a trianglecollider that uses opcode(the great collision detection lib), and it is moved into the ode core(was a patch/addon before)…i used it extensivey for a demo on xbox 2 years ago…every character collided against a 50.000 poly groundmesh…

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/opende/ode/OPCODE/

I suppose you all can see I'm not here as much nowadays as I used to. This is because I've been working a lot on stuff unrelated to Java and jME for a while.

But don't worry, I'm still lurking around, reading this forum every day and am actually working on a remake of Marble Fun, which I hope to contribute back to the community when done. Things are going great (although somewhat slow as I'm only spending a couple of hours now and then) – everything is finished and I'm just making levels at the moment.

The last feature I added to jME-Physics was a way to create physics objects from properties in an XML file. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I'm not using it for loading levels in Marble Fun; I'm just using plain text files.

What I'd love to see happen with jME-Physics (I might get the time to do it) is for it to be completely independant on the underlying physics-engine, just like darkfrog said. Other than that I think dynamic meshes would be great and according to MrCoder the future looks bright.

MrCoder said:

ode has a trianglecollider that uses opcode(the great collision detection lib), and it is moved into the ode core(was a patch/addon before)...i used it extensivey for a demo on xbox 2 years ago...every character collided against a 50.000 poly groundmesh...

Well, that ground was static (immovable), wasn't it? That's working fine - as shown in e.g. BuggeDemo.

what's the address for checking it out from cvs?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/jme-physics

• if you're lucky even cvs will work o_O

that's the thing…i only get server timeouts on the cvs…if anyone has the complete source(not the packaged jars) feel free to mail them to me at rikard.herlitz@jadestone.se

Okay Mr. Coder, here’s the most recent version of jme-physics:

http://www.captiveimagination.com/download/jmephysics.zip

Anyone else feel free to snag it as well. :-p

BTW, I am about to be setting up a server with nearly unlimited bandwidth for my game development and other ventures and was wondering if anyone would be opposed to hosting the repository for jME-Physics on my SVN server there?  It might be upwards of a month until this server is securely in place, I’m in the process of configuring it now.  It’s a Dual Xeon 2.4 GHz with 1gig of memory on it and 250 gig of hard drive space available that will be running Fedora Core 4.  I’ll be happy when I can get this launched and get away from hosting out of my house. :-p

darkfrog

thanks a ton frog!  :smiley: