jME3 and eclipse

This can well be said about JVM, and generally about any “abstraction layer”.

I’m glad that you corrected the spelling. :grinning:

Ok, we have a conflict here. I updated the eclipse page to point to the engine but did not know this link was pointing to the SDK.

I researched this link and it was pointing to the engine but someone (who doesn’t matter) edited it to point to the SDK by mistake it looks like.

I pointed it back to the engine.

3 Likes

Imgur

I’ve only added the 3 dependencies you mentioned to my pom and these(the red box) are the libraries maven pull down for me.

You are missing some libraries. Try updating maven dependencies?

Download the archive. Releases · jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine · GitHub
It’s easier to copy all the libraries from the lib folder. Than to rely on Maven, Gradle.

The name of this thread should mention Maven.

I haven’t tried using Netbeans and Maven for the engine yet so I cant confirm this to be eclipse problem, Maven problem or just a wiki in need of a fix and it may be some time before I can get to it.

It would be nice for this to be fixed rather than hacking around things.

1 Like

I want to add a wiki page about the how to setup jME with IntellijIDEA using maven.

Do you know any easy way to get the jme3-testdata.jar other then getting it from other installation?

And yes, this is a topic that has nothing to do with Maven and Gradle. Eclipse can be configured without them.

Can we include a page on how to bang on one’s fingers with a hammer? :slight_smile:

I’m always surprise that any modern Java developer would purposely start a NEW project with maven instead of gradle. Maven is just such a horrible tool.

1 Like

To that end, how about we remove the reference to it from the wiki. This would make things a lot simpler.

I find Gradle’s DSL very uncomfortable - maybe XML gives me false sense of security?

Second reason: jMP uses Ant. I wanted to recreate jMP setting in other IDE for learning purpose, and since I did not want to use Ant, and the next simplest alternate is Maven. We do not need to know(or have it installed on my system) Gradle unless I want to compile jME from source.

Also the reason I want to add it because - when I started using jME the documentation and the ease getting started with jMP was what kept me around. So maybe having extensive documentation would probably help us retain more users - thoughts?

It’s not just the XML that’s horrible. Maven is just not a very good build tool. It’s output is overly verbose, it doesn’t really support multiproject builds, the default conventions are ancient by now… there is just so much to dislike.

Gradle is definitely the “next easiest thing” to ANT. Maven is just an overcomplicated mess.

But I mean, if you like typing 90x as much information to do the same thing and then have a worse experience… who am I to stop you? Hopefully you never have to step even slightly outside of the limited “maven way” dogmatic BS.

To learn JMEs gradle way just take one of @pspeed example and go from there. It even works with my favorite JME SDK :slight_smile: and it is really much simpler than maven. I found also a way to still use SDKs blend to j3o converter (thanks to @Ali_RS), but I guess I will automate this in the future by gradle, I think that is possible. There is so much help by google search in case of problems as well. Furthermore my tests run 100 times faster than when I use purely the SDK and I have quite a lot tests as I do TDD. Best thing compared to pure SDK is that all the referenced stuff is automatically downloaded (of course maven will as well, but one has to type a lot more in less clear way than in gradle).
My only currently not yet solved issue is that for lemur and zay es the SDK can not find the java doc.

I had quite contrary impression by the way - I was truly impressed of just how much you can do with it, while simple things still stay simple… if you don’t need something right now - you just don’t plug it in, and don’t read about it in details. Also It’s heavily documented - and, IMHO, even better cross-referenced, than Oracle’s java documentation, for instance.

1 Like

I had few issues, when i firstly set up maven-eclipse-jme project. the reason was in correct setting maven up within eclipse.
Actually the same was happening when alternatives were used: idea and gradle.
Those issues help to understand that SDKs are only wrappers what do require process of configuring.

You always can do step back:
make it live without SDK;
update SDK configuration;
make it run within the SDK.