jme3 or ardor3d

hi all!

i started working on a hobby game project a couple of weeks ago together with another guy. He started implementing simple methods using ardor3d while i was still making myself familiar with 3d game programming.

“Unfortunatley” i started with jmonkey and i have to say i like what ive seen so far. The big question is now - where is the difference between ardor3d and jme3? which one makes more sence to use for us?

we are working on kind if a mmo space game like astroids but with players shooting each other …

since ive not been able to find any satisfying benchmarking attempt using google im happy for any advice!!

ps.: im sorry i didnt know where to post this one …

Ardor3D is basically jME 2.5. The old jME devs went away from the community and started their own engine with a more closed source. Technically, they stuck to lots of the questionable concepts of jME2 (like the RenderStates mess, static methods for global System classes etc. etc.) but improved and stabilized many of them (yes, jME2 had and still has some severe limitations and bugs).

jME3 was written completely new from the ground up, basically only keeping the math classes of jME2 having a chance to a) simplify the API and especially material and shader handling immensely and b) get rid of all the stuff that never really worked in jME2 anyway. Since the community is still quite large and strong, you see much more activity on the jME side and we the new devs have a vision for jME3 as a complete game engine as opposed to just a 3d scenegraph as used for business applications. Thats why we added things like bullet physics and the SDK which allows rapid creation of games by handling the external things like asset management and deployment etc. which sooner or later always become important for a game project.

P.S.: And about “performance”: Its not different between the engines, they both use OpenGL so the performance is only limited by your system and your code :wink:

there is always fortunate in unfortunate.

may be it is also in your case ^^

I have just take a quick look at ardor3D

the screenshot are very nice.

but I dont see much tut there, the forum looks somehow boring and not very active.

so jme3 or ardor3D ? use your coin ^^ if it says ardor3d then dont forget to throw it again to check if last throw was a right or wrong decision ^^

Ardor3D was quite active before and had releases often but recently it all calmed down. Right now they are getting about 3-4 posts per day vs. jME3’s 40 posts per day on the forum.

Momoko_Fan said:
Ardor3D was quite active before and had releases often but recently it all calmed down. Right now they are getting about 3-4 posts per day vs. jME3's 40 posts per day on the forum.

Fact :D. Jme was my first, but anyways i think it is the most active 3d game engine in the world :D.

I hope after stable jme3 released it wont be the second ardor3D ^^

@xieu9 hell no, that’s never gonna be :wink:

that raises the question what is bad about ardor3d since you dont want jme turn into another ardor?

but thanks for the replies. i think the community is whats going to make me stay with jmonkey. also my avatar fits in perfectly :smiley:

@rhumbot

you said the answer

i think it is the most active 3d game engine in the world :smiley: . (it is jme, isnt it ?–>jme is more active than ardor)

and now I can see your avatar a monkey. before I thought it was a girl avatar or somewhat ^^

nice one

@iamcreasy

yeah, because after jme3 there will be jme4 and so on right ?

I want to live in future ^^

After jME3 goes stable everything will be as it is now I hope. We plan to do releases like 3.0.1 with fixes etc. and without API changes and releases like 3.1 might change the API. We try to avoid the “freeze because stable” thing as far as possible by preserving the option to change the API when necessary. Also, since the SDK is divided into plugins, updates of these will happen continuously during one major release.

P.S.: And jME4 will probably be something way in the future, consider jME3 something like OSX, where the sub-numbers rather than the major number define the major releases. jME3 is “our” jME, the new and improved version of jME :wink:

1 Like
xieu90 said:
@rhumbot
you said the answer
i think it is the most active 3d game engine in the world :D . (it is jme, isnt it ?-->jme is more active than ardor)

No, I said it :D.

@glaucomardano

I am so sorry.

the avatars were so similar to each other? both have black and orange color in it–> I made a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee mistake ^^

one has the monkey (at first look I thought it was a girl with huge tit…)

the other one , you @glaucomardano I dont see what it is there, is it a dog with his tongue out? or is it another girl laying on floor ?

looks like you see girls everywhere :smiley:

Yeah, what would the world be without girls 8).

@xieu90:No, it isn’t a dog or a girl. It’s AVANTASIA ;). Heavy Metal.

@rhumbot

my face when I see girls

@glaucomardano

when I go to your nick and see your big image then I see it is AVANTASIA, but here in forum it is so small.I think I will need loupe or even telescope.

if the world is without girl, then the telescope will be useful. may be I will find the isle of women ^^

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nYyDYPRivFw/SNk8NRLP3LI/AAAAAAAAAP8/wDW7oopr7m4/s1600/jiraiya_perverted_2.jpg

Hi

Renanse abandoned Ardor3D in March 2014. JogAmp’s Ardor3D Continuation is still actively developed and maintained. Actually, I would prefer taking care of a single engine but they have become so different, they still manage the meshes and the geometries in the same way but most of the other features are implemented very differently or absent from the former or the latter. Maybe a merge will become possible in the next major version of JMonkeyEngine.

@rhumbot said: hi all!<br /> <br /> i started working on a hobby game project a couple of weeks ago together with another guy. He started implementing simple methods using ardor3d while i was still making myself familiar with 3d game programming.<br /> "Unfortunatley" i started with jmonkey and i have to say i like what ive seen so far. The big question is now - where is the difference between ardor3d and jme3? which one makes more sence to use for us?<br /> <br /> we are working on kind if a mmo space game like astroids but with players shooting each other ...<br /> <br /> since ive not been able to find any satisfying benchmarking attempt using google im happy for any advice!!<br /> <br /> ps.: im sorry i didnt know where to post this one ...

If you’re looking for inspiration in that genre of games, I suggest taking a look at Continuum (get continuum). It has a small community, but the game is cool.

…interesting to revive a 3 year old thread. It seems to always confuse people.

@pspeed said: ...interesting to revive a 3 year old thread. It seems to always confuse people.
The dates of the posts are displayed, it shouldn't be a problem.
@gouessej said: The dates of the posts are displayed, it shouldn't be a problem.

Heheh… except right above my post where someone is responding to a 3 year old post as if it’s still relevant. :slight_smile: