jme3

Does Betaville work with jme3? I saw that it was tagged with jme2 so I just wanted to ask and be sure.

actually, does this allow me to integrate it so i can modify it? I was thinking of using it as part of a project to create a simcity type thing where you can place buildings and such.

I might be wrong on this but I think the BetaVille team is slowly transferring their code over to jME3. You might want to have @sbook answer your question though since he’s on the BetaVille team.

Hi, I’ve been away from my computer for the last day or so.

Thanks for jumping in, @madjack… yes, a port is in slow progress… We have production deadlines to meet, however, so the port is slowly worked on by a single person when he gets the time :wink: Most of the work thus far has been with getting legacy jME2 assets into jME3…

As for the second question of integration, it depends on how much you want to integrate. Its designed more as a GIS system than a closed sandbox, so in addition to typical setLocalTranslation() methods for Spatials, there are utilities for moving in ‘real-world’ units.

The core functionality of Betaville, which is the reason for this GIS-style approach, is for creating new proposals for existing spaces. So, for example, if you don’t like the building across the street from your apartment, you can knock it down and propose a park (and subsequently make new versions of said proposal). There are other ‘social’ aspects to it as well like comments, favorite/like, sharing via email, etc.

Powering all this is a Java/MySQL backend which uses standard Java Object serialization for communications. Also in the works is a PHP web service which returns JSON responses (good for iOS and web browser use)

You’re more than welcome to check out the code and give it a go (or run one of the nightly or production Web Start builds) http://wiki.betaville.net/doku.php?id=howto:check_out_and_run

Thanks for your interest, please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification on anything… the project is open source from top to bottom :slight_smile:

For anyone interested, the port is moving ahead with speed now (or at least speed relative to the last few months full of Proof of Concept work).

The project is on GitHub, feel free to look around :slight_smile:

1 Like