JMonkey Engine Theme Handling: Incorrect usage of Theme FG Color with non-theme background color

I’m on Ubuntu 15.10 and I’m using Unity/Gnome/Gtk and the “Ambience” (aka Dark) Gtk Theme. I’m also using the “DarkMonkey” theme with JMonkey. I’m using a build of 3.1 that I built from latest Git Master:

Product Version: jMonkeyEngine SDK 3.1-5359
Updates: jMonkeyEngine SDK is updated to version NetBeans 8.0.2 Patch 2
Java: 1.8.0_66; Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM 25.66-b17
Runtime: Java™ SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_66-b17
System: Linux version 4.2.0-22-generic running on amd64; UTF-8; en_US (jmonkeyplatform)

I’m working through the beginner “Hello World” tutorials and I’ve noticed that the start-up screen (seen here):

Uses the “DarkMonkey” theme for the FG color of the text in the dialog, but, apparently is forcing “White” as the background. Is this a bug in JMonkey engine or a configuration problem on my part?

Kind Regards,

Gerry B.

I am not using Linux . But found these in the internet .I think it worth to take a look .

https://forums.netbeans.org/topic55902.html

If they were helpful let me know and if not then sorry for bothering .

Unfortunately, not much help. It seems like the start-up dialog code used by JMonkeyEngine (I’m not talking about the SDK here, I’m talking about “SimpleApp”) is hard-coded to use the “Platform Look-and-Feel”. Unfortunately, there seems to be a number of issues with Swing (depending on which Java Version you are using) and Gnome/Gtk Themes (depending on what is being used) where Swing Look-and-Feel engine just doesn’t get things “Right”.

It seems to me that the solution is to allow a command-line option (or otherwise configurable) setting for the Swing Look-and-Feel that JMonkeyEngine should use for the Start-Up dialog. I’m going to research it more and figure out what the best solution will be once I finish up going through all the tutorials. I’ll post back here once I have the ideal solution.

1 Like