JMonkey Freezes Laptop upon opening

Hey guys,

I searched all over for an answer to this problem, but couldn’t find anything so I decided to sign up and make an account to hopefully get it answered. I am currently taking one of my final Computer Science courses, where a group of us are making a game using JMonkey. We just started, and I have no previous experience with JMonkey at all, though I am very familiar with JAVA and Netbeans (which I believe JMonkey utilizes).

My problem is that, after opening JMonkey it goes through the load screen normally, and then prompts me to select or create a folder to save JMonkey projects. After selecting a folder or creating one, it opens the JMonkey SDK and then starts to open the Help window but instantly freezes my computer completely. I can’t do anything to get out of it other than a hard reset of my laptop. In the output section I can see some messages, but I can’t tell if they are errors or not because the Help window blocks them from sight.

I heard that some graphics cards are not supported by JMonkey, or don’t support OpenGL. I was HOPING this wasn’t the issue. One of my group members said there was some sort of program you could run on your computer to see if OpenGL worked on it, but he and I couldn’t find it.

Any information at all would be very helpful, I’m going to include my computer specs because they are probably useful to whoever can help.

Thanks!

Specs:

• Alienware M17
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.27 GHz (2 CPUs)
  • 4 GB RAM
  • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 X2
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I’ve had no problems at all with this laptop, I can run plenty of games on high graphics, with barely any issues unless there are a ton of players, or a ton of moving parts.

I don’t know what version of the SDK would open a help window right on start :?
The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there’s emotes that hint otherwise or there’s an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.