jMonkeyPlataform high cpu usage

i was wondering if someone else have this issue before its probably a netbeans problem but idk after a re-install the process jmonkeyplataform.exe keeps using 50-80% of my cpu for no apparent reason.

I see this too if I don’t have a model or something open in the scene viewer, ie: I don’t have a scene viewer window in a tab somewhere. I keep a model around just to open in there so that CPU drops back down.

Thanks i just open the sceneviewer window and it when down to normal again!

Hmm it seems to work fine but now everytime i run a project it runs at 1-3fps this is really weird

I started getting this recently after I applied some Netbeans updates, and I got some other annoying problems now too. Sometimes when I compile the process fails, stating that it could not create the jar file, and sometimes it doesn’t start the process and instead pops up an error dialog stating that there was some problem with the scene, that its thread died or something like that (I’m not even using the scene viewer at all; could be that jmonkey welcome scene with the rotating planet? But I cannot close that window! It’s so annoying, it’s not closable and it just sits there wasting space). Also, sometimes when it actually does compile, I run the project and get an exception about updating the scene graph inappropriately, but the exception happens before my loading screen (first thing I add to the scene graph) is starting to be set up, so it has nothing to do with my code.

Something else very annoying, and even potentially dangerous, is that jMP fails to load in the first place if I run it under the context of a normal user. It only runs successfully if I run it as an admin. That is completely unacceptable in general, but I have a fast approaching deadline and the current project can’t compromise anything.

All this started happening after some Netbeans updates, so I was assuming it was all (or at least mostly) Netbeans fault. But this is the first project I’ve ever used Netbeans for, even if it is somewhat indirectly via jMP, so I don’t know how stable (or not) it generally is. I must say though, this is a bad first impression.

loduwijk said:
Something else very annoying, and even potentially dangerous, is that jMP fails to load in the first place if I run it under the context of a normal user. It only runs successfully if I run it as an admin. That is completely unacceptable in general, but I have a fast approaching deadline and the current project can't compromise anything.

a) Something seems to be bad about the install in general, some files or folders seem to be inaccessible for the user when you have to run it as admin
b) The SDK is alpha software and uses an alpha build of the NetBeans Platform so yes, it might be unstable.
b2) Pressing the "update" button in any software (especially alpha software) when you have a "fast approaching deadline" is something you should *never* do, if the SDK was just there to teach you that then it already did more for you than you can imagine ^^
normen said:
a) Something seems to be bad about the install in general, some files or folders seem to be inaccessible for the user when you have to run it as admin
b) The SDK is alpha software and uses an alpha build of the NetBeans Platform so yes, it might be unstable.
b2) Pressing the "update" button in any software (especially alpha software) when you have a "fast approaching deadline" is something you should *never* do, if the SDK was just there to teach you that then it already did more for you than you can imagine ^^

Concerning "b": As I said, I think it is more Netbeans fault for a lot of that than jMP. I even Googled some of my issues and found people complaining about similar problems on the Netbeans forum.

Concerning "b2": I was using an older alpha3 build and had not updated since then. I am still surprised how rapidly jME3 is evolving: I've never been a part of a community or used a product of a community that was progressing this quickly, and I have never been in a situation where there was much of a need to update a lot to keep up with the development. But for this, I had issues that I just had to update for, as a lot of my installation was very different from the current installation. For example, you replied to one of my troubleshooting posts and told me that SimpleTextured is deprecated, to use Unshaded instead: well, my install did not have Unshaded, it only had SimpleTextured. BitmapFont worked a lot differently. There were some other things as well which either worked differently or were nonexistent. So I let it update, but that did not update it to jMP a4 and I was still missing stuff, so I downloaded alpha4 and installed it. It then immediately wanted to do updates before I even started working on my project again, so I let it.

Basically, for me to meet my deadline, I had to upgrade - it was a "damned if I do, damned even moreso if I don't". And now I'm stuck with something that is limping along but working, and I don't have time to troubleshoot it because I wanted to stop working on it today and get ready for when I have to present the project at a conference on Wednesday: I still have not even started preparing the presentation, and I suck at that part. So I just have to pray that everything runs smooth when I show it.

None of what I'm saying here really applies to the original post here, which is why I did not elaborate originally, but I just thought I'd mention it now because of your comments. Anyway, I'm not blaming you for the problems that are "with jMP" since there are underlying problems with Netbeans, which means that at least some, if not all, of the problems are not really with jMP in the first place.

Just a small note, you can still open your jMP projects in regular NetBeans 6.9.1 and make your edits there. As long as you don’t change the assets it should compile and run correctly.

Just a few things that might help…

First, it is possible to run jmp without the problems you have. I know that’s small comfort but there are many of us running it with very few issues… so hopefully there is at least a happy end state in your future. At best, I see the “Thread Death” pop-up a lot but it’s always at the end of a build and everything still works just fine. All threads issue this throwable when they die and I just suspect that for some reason something in the jmp is accidentally catching them from the wrong thread sometimes.

Second, when you setup a project in jmp it creates an ant build file that you can use to build your app from the command line. I don’t know what the targets are exactly but this should be easy to figure out. It may let you do most of your development outside of jmp over the next few days… just until you get past your release and have time again.

Same problem… Very bad :frowning: 1-3 fps + jMP very slow!