JMP Suggestion thread

+1

Yeah, maybe we could add some of the cooler NB plugin repos (e.g. for the FindBugs plugin or Scala) to the list of update centers in the SDK but disable them by default to avoid cluttering the plugins list too much.

That would be a great idea :slight_smile:

…so post the links :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there a demand? I imagine most people have no interest in them so it would clutter up the SDK for those people in order to support a small minority. If anyone is so tied to a particular language that they want to make JME work with that language then I’d suggest they are advanced enough in that language that they will already have a preferred IDE set up for it and/or enough tech skill to be able to add the relevant plugin to the SDK.

However I’m just a random user so I’ll let the people who actually work on the SDK give a proper reply :slight_smile:

Scala:

http://java.net/projects/nbscala

1 Like

A couple of suggestions I have so far after working more with the terrain and scene editor are:

Would it be possible to add a pan feature ie: can move the cam in an x y direction. while editing. Instead of just zoom and rotate. Sorry If I missed this if it’s in the editor already.

And could the cam near and far clipping planes be expanded a bit. when trying to get a zoomed out overview of a 1024 terrain height map terrain, the far ends of the terrain get cut out of view, and same for when one is zooming in trying to get a closer view.

Just a few things I’ve noticed when trying to work up a new track in the editor so far.

Oh and one more thing. Possibly away to make terrain grids not selectable in while editing a scene.

Great tools, just trying to offer up some input. :slight_smile:

@lwsquad said:
Oh and one more thing. Possibly away to make terrain grids not selectable in while editing a scene.

For sure, this annoys me a great deal :)

I do have one tool on the backburner, it is essentially the Blender transformation tool. Allows you to select, rotate with R, type in an angle and hit Enter to rotate it, etc. It's partially complete, I think I might try and finish it in the next month.

In the terrain editor you can hold SHIFT while an editing tool is selected to go back to the normal controls: pan, rotate, zoom
1 Like

Thanks @Sploreg! Sounds great! Btw, love your work on the terrain system and editor :slight_smile:

Glad you like it. Any tips and suggestions are always welcome.

@lwsquad said:
Would it be possible to add a pan feature ie: can move the cam in an x y direction. while editing. Instead of just zoom and rotate. Sorry If I missed this if it's in the editor already.

You can also rotate and pan blender style : rotate with middle mouse click and pan with shift + middle mouse click

@Sploreg said:
I do have one tool on the backburner, it is essentially the Blender transformation tool. Allows you to select, rotate with R, type in an angle and hit Enter to rotate it, etc. It's partially complete, I think I might try and finish it in the next month.

sounds awesome ;)

Found another request for terrain editor, when applying a Specular value to a texture material, would it be possible to set this on a per texture material basis. It seems to apply the value to all textures.

@nehon said:
You can also rotate and pan blender style : rotate with middle mouse click and pan with shift + middle mouse click

Thanks, works great! :)
@lwsquad said:
Found another request for terrain editor, when applying a Specular value to a texture material, would it be possible to set this on a per texture material basis. It seems to apply the value to all textures.

Yea it applies to all textures. It is a limitation of the material, not so much the editor. It is changable, I just have to do it, hehe. At first I thought specularity wouldn't be that useful on terrain, but I can see if you have ice or something then it might be.

Yea, or in areas that might be damp, or next to a body of water :slight_smile:

If it wasn’t mentioned already, how about adding designer for NiftyGui, so we don’t have to type everything and re-run things just to see changes visible? I mean designer like one NetBeans has for Swing forms that would generate nifty gui code. Yeah, we have design page for NiftyGUI files, but is kinda useless, as component palette is empty. How about adding default set of components (buttons, scroll/progressbars, etc.) that we will be able to set images, texts and other things for?

@dariuszg-jagielski said:
If it wasn't mentioned already, how about adding designer for NiftyGui

Sure, go ahead!
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/jmonkeyplatform/forum/topic/sdk-plugins-looking-for-developers/
1 Like

If I could do that myself, I wouldn’t ask for it, would I? I only ask for things that are extremely hard (not the case) or when I can’t make it myself (like here)

If I could do that myself, I wouldn't ask for it, would I? I only ask for things that are extremely hard (not the case) or when I can't make it myself (like here)

I'll help you, heres some information already:
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/jmonkeyplatform/forum/topic/sdk-plugins-looking-for-developers/
are extremely hard (not the case) or when I can't make it myself (like here)

So... This isn't extremely hard and you can't do it yourself. Are you saying you're lazy? :P

And, FYI, if you think making a nifty graphical builder won't be very hard then you obviously have no idea about nifty. I may bash it once in a while, ok often, but that GUI is probably one of the most complex GUI and although it's not THAT hard to work with, it does take a lot of getting used to it.

Anyhow...

Hi monkeys,

I was wondering if it wouldn’t be a good idea to exploit that the engine can run using any languages compiled with JVM.

However in the IDE is still only capable of using java (at least as far as I can see :slight_smile: ). Wouldn’t it be a nice thing if it was possible to use other of these langagues in the IDE ? :slight_smile:

Some of these other languages could be:

Scala

JRuby

Jython