Joal native library so's for 32-bit/64-bit linux

It may work on different machines hopefully. The 32 bit one is the official one, 64bit is built on my arch linux and works nicely.

The tar.gz contains directories and so's.

http://solidfiles.com/d/FaUW

Please add it to SVN, currently it's not containing any version.

1 Like

wouldn't really both with joal, its been abandoned, its buggy and doesn't look like it'll be supported any time soon.

You might want to try LWJGL's OpenAL support instead, its pretty reliable and regularly updated, has software fallback and natives for all platforms (both 32bit/64bit).

faust said:

wouldn't really both with joal, its been abandoned, its buggy and doesn't look like it'll be supported any time soon.

You might want to try LWJGL's OpenAL support instead, its pretty reliable and regularly updated, has software fallback and natives for all platforms (both 32bit/64bit).

That's right, but jme3 contains alternative binding to joal, if somebody prefers that. And these SO's are missing, while Windows and MacOS libs are in SVN.

The reason I added JOAL was because it has support for EFX which allows reverb and low-pass effects, while LWJGL's OpenAL doesn't have it (I already submitted the request on their forum and they say they are too lazy to add it).

Can you make builds for 64-bit windows and mac too?

Not only is the JOAL linux natives missing for jme3 but also the JOGL linux natives are missing from the repository. I hope this gets fixed soon, as I would like to try out jme3.

Linux natives now available for JOGL and JOAL. Update from SVN :slight_smile:

Hi

Sorry to refresh this old thread. I don’t find JOAL natives on the SVN repository, where are they?

timong, thank you so much for the natives for Linux 64 bits. I’m looking for Windows ones now.

JOAL support has been deprecated, OpenAL is supported through lwjgl.

normen said:
JOAL support has been deprecated, OpenAL is supported through lwjgl.

The latest version of JOAL which is a part of JogAmp Release Candidate 2 works reliably and supports both 32 bits and 64 bits architectures on 3 OS families (Linux, Mac, Windows), I don't really understand why it is now deprecated. I won't argue anymore.

Sorry but you don't really answer my question. I was looking for the last SVN release of JMonkeyEngine containing these native libraries for 64 bits architecture because I cannot build them on Windows, I cannot switch to the latest version of JOAL yet and the official build of this "old" version of JOAL does not contain any native libraries for 64 architectures. Best regards.

I answer your question in the way most people answer questions, regarding the present. Arguably a revision system somehow implies the past as well but imagine how confused people were if they asked about the location of a deprecated class and I just told them “in rev 3456”. I don’t really know when in the past the folder was finally deleted… So to give you a “correct” answer: Its in the svn revision history :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Since JOGL isn’t supported and JOAL requires an additional native library, there’s really no reason to include it. LWJGL comes with OpenAL support out of the box.

Momoko_Fan said:
Since JOGL isn't supported and JOAL requires an additional native library, there's really no reason to include it. LWJGL comes with OpenAL support out of the box.

This is not what is written here:
https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:jme3_source_structure
https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/compare-jme2-jme3

If you have decided not to support JogAmp (JOGL, JOAL, JOCL) anymore, please remove the JOGL renderers from JMonkeyEngine 3.0 and update your wiki to reflect such changes. The latest version of JOAL comes with OpenAL support out of the box too, Michael Bien confirmed that it works fine with OpenALSoft, please stop FUD:
http://forum.jogamp.org/joal-works-td956268.html

Best regards.

The deprecation of JOGL has been announced with the last release and all corresponding menu entries have been removed from the engine. We will remove the rest of the code and libraries as well. Thanks for the hint with the wiki entries, I changed them.

I don’t exactly know what you mean by “fear, uncertainty and doubt”, we never talked badly about neither JOGL nor JOAL, we just said we would not support it any longer because we cannot guarantee for it working properly and we don’t want the additional maintenance. Actually no one ever asked about JOGL so I guess you are the only one in doubt and fear, for users the renderer implementation is much less of a point of doubt now.

1 Like

Hi Normen

I spoke about FUD because Momoko_Fan wrote something really confusing about JOAL which has an out of the box support of OpenAL too whereas his sentence means that only LWJGL comes with it. LWJGL requires an additional native library too, it is shipped with OpenALSoft, you can check it by yourself.

The JOGL renderer would not have required a hugh additional maintenance if some major regressions had been detected and fixed very early. When I came, it was too late, I failed in fixing them. It is not a personal attack, we all try to do our best to provide working tools.

If there is enough demand (which is currently not the case), I will implement another JOGL 2.0 renderer but closer to the current LWJGL one and using the native windowing toolkit of JOGL (NEWT). It will be possible only if the rendering calls are done only in the renderer. I will do it first for Ardor3D (I already did it once but I did not update my fragment). I said that I was ready to implement a JOGL 2.0 renderer for JMonkeyEngine but I said that I will not have enough time to maintain it on the long term, that is why I won’t write such a renderer only for my personal use. If nobody wants to maintain it on the long term, I understand your decision.

Best regards.