JOGL in jME development

Hello

I wrote several years ago that I couldn’t go on maintaining jMonkeyEngine’s JOGL backend, I thought that some other developers could do it. Some APIs, frameworks and engines are actively maintained by a very few people, we can’t be everywhere. I failed in sharing some responsibilities, I didn’t find someone to maintain this backend whereas someone else took this role for Java3D (Phil, keep up the good work :slight_smile: ). In my humble opinion, some developers have a customer mindset when dealing with APIs whereas I’m only a volunteer, I do what I can on my spare time, I would be happy if much more developers contributed to the APIs they use and it’s not only specific to JOGL.

By the way, I don’t question your arguments about the JOGL support in jMonkeyEngine but what is “built for general use of openGL, not gaming”? JOGL is built for gaming too and it’s used in some commercial and non commercial games and some features in development are done with gaming in mind (especially the next NEWT input API possibly with build-in support of raw mouse/pointer relative motion events, whose most obvious use case is first person shooters).

I left Github several months ago, I can’t comment on Github issues. It’s not up to me but in the current context, it can be helpful not to put your eggs into the same basket. I’m not the only developer who decided to leave Github after it was bought by Microsoft. Maybe it would make sense to use Github only as a mirror and to have both your source code and your issues in your own infrastructure (I won’t promote any competitor of Github as I seriously consider self-hosting all my stuff on the long term).

I’ll probably not resurrect the JOGL backend. I encourage the very few developers using jMonkeyEngine’s JOGL backend to contact us on the official JogAmp forum so that we can suggest some viable alternatives. If someone really needs JOGL support in jMonkeyEngine, we’ll maintain a fork on our side but this isn’t a solution that I seriously consider.

Best regards. Good luck.

P.S: Just for reference:
https://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/t/jogl-support-jogl2-that-is/20891/338?u=gouessej