Jpony Game Development Kit

Are you using a Radeon/AMD graphics card ?

There is an issue with JME 3.1 and AMD that hasn’t been solved yet.

1 Like

LOL. And yet SF will live after literally including malware in downloads…

I think both companies will be around for a long time.

1 Like

100$ that it’s a Nvidia GPU with that faulty driver.
And in regards to github: Given that Gogs, Gitlab etc are exactly the same layout but self hosted, even if that one goes down, another clone goes up in a matter of seconds.

Actually I have my “own github” to track issues in private projects (using gogs), but since git is decentral it wouldn’t matter that much what site goes down.

Or take gitorious as an example. You can still access the code there to migrate it.

1 Like

A quote from the comments that says it all.

by Anonymous Coward on Friday December 16, 2016 @11:51AM (#53497813)
GitHub should worry about actually building their core product rather than spending all their time on social justice crusades.

Re:
Having some fixed sane rules and sticking to em would be a good start.

1 Like

Which is exactly like some noob saying “Company X should worry about fixing their bugs instead of adding new features.” Or “My country should worry about feeding the homeless instead of sending people to the moon.”

It’s black-and-white bullshit to pretend you can only do one or the other. As white middle-aged male, I’m fine to say that diversity in this industry is a huge problem. 99.9999% of the people who complain about it are feeling their white-male-privilege slip away.

Do the SJWs take it to the extreme? Absolutely. Is it a problem worth addressing in the 21st century if you are a super-fast-growing company? Also absolutely.

Most of what I read in that article is standard stuff for growth. That they’re making diversity a strong issue in their restructuring is just a sidebar. The real bitching is about the fact that they can’t work from home anymore and have managers now. I’ve seen it happen at literally every company that grows beyond 200 people.

3 Likes

My opengl is 2.1 .: :frowning:

1 Like

It’s not diversity it’s racism against whites. They’re saying let’s replace white people. Imagine if I said there are too many black people in my company I want to hire more whites to replace them ? Anyone with any sensibility would see that as a direct attack on black people and overt racism. Everyday we see the exact same thing happen but reverse. No one bats an eye when racism applied to whites.

As a middle aged white guy myself I have to stick up for myself. I’m not going to live by a double standard and let people attack me solely because of my race while the same people attacking me claim immunity to being racist.

If this SJW mentality keeps up the American tech sector will eventually turn into a joke. You can’t realistically have progress when you’re hiring people based on racial / gender quotas instead of merit. The ironic part is those hiring policy themselves are both racist and sexist :wink:

Any ways perhaps we should move this to another thread lol. Getting waaaaay off topic here.

4 Likes

No, it’s not.

No, they’re not.

It fails a basic logic test, really. They’d get sued for millions.

…but you go ahead believing whatever you want to believe. Believe whatever you read, if you like.

In the mean time, I’ll fall back on my industry experience working in both types of companies and the shocking and subtle cultural differences. In one case, it was extremely jarring to go from a totally diverse company to a non-diverse-but-not-on-purpose company. There were dozens and dozens of really subtle (and many defensible on the surface) reasons that was likely not to change.

The truth is nowhere near as bleak as you, or the anonymous twitter/reddit pundits, portray.

3 Likes

Well, right now we “are transitioning.” We’re still exploring the possibilities.

Our main concern with using gihub.io is that pretty much all of our artifacts are binary. (compiled jars) the largest currently is ~1mb, and are not downloaded often. Binary in git is an odd combination, though one team member is advocating exactly that. We’re also considering extending the plugin manager to be an asset manager, which means stuff in it own native format.

We went to GitHub for the source because we wanted to shift to git, (works better fit the way the team interacts… We each tend to take our time on projects, and trying to coordinate without distributed branching was making things take forever) and thought the exposure on github would attract others. We’re thinking that we will enjoy the very easy integration with, E.G. Travis.ci (you can do similar things on SF, but need your own build server)

1 Like

Yeah, binaries in git are less than ideal. I’d forgotten that part.

1 Like

I’ve seen a more powerful and more recent GPU from intel (HD 2000, sandy bridge) that had several issues and crashing. You should probably try a newer GPU.

1 Like