(July 2021) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

Given that the seeds are 64 bits and that the world will stretch (at least) millions of meters in all directions (ultimately based on hard drive size), you could never really prove that France wasn’t in there somewhere. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Working on randomly generated maps for my fps.

The cubes represent houses. The algorithm tests the terrain underneath the house for “steepness” so I won’t spawn houses in ridiculous places. A floating house means that the terrain underneath is too steep.

Right now, the maximum incline is set very high, so one of the houses in picture 1 is half buried. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I finally made the player! No guns or animations, just able to walk around and jump.

5 Likes

More spam about my progress. I find that the closer I get to something really cool, the closer “fear of failure” looms and these posts keep me grounded.

Anyway, here we see the initial pass at sailing routes:

It still needs quite a bit of tweaking but it was hard to get working at all. (Unlike roads, ocean routes have to factor in sea ports and a particular town may have multiple possible sea ports.)

One of the reasons this step is so cool is illustrated by scaling the paths by reuse:

Here we see cases where to get from random town A to random town B, you might sail by all of these other towns… indicating likely trade hubs and major port cities. (You make assumptions about outcomes when you start out but seeing it illustrated so clearly was very exciting.)

It’s also clear which ports are actually not ports because their deep water connects to nothing. I can turn those back into fishing towns/villages.

Putting it all together:

(click for hires)

Note: even that isolated section of roads would probably connect to the rest of the map if generation were to continue beyond these 9 tiles.

Next is a whole mess of code cleanup to refactor the major copy-pasta in my prototype groovy scripts then I will get back to tweaking the algorithms a little to see if some of the weird double sailing-routes will go away and stuff.

Probably no visible updates for a while but we’ll see.

18 Likes

I felt like I didn’t have enough control over my terrain generation, so I made my own mountain generator. It took a while to debug and tune, but it now generates some nice looking mountains consistently.

My map generator can now generate forests! The algorithm is able to generate dense forests and open plains at the same time using noise.

And finally, for my most recent update, I implemented guns and shooting. The guns aren’t textured yet, so they’re all plain blue. The guns are showcased specifically and more visible in my first post.

10 Likes

Now player can interact with farm animals and take the meat kindly. :wink:

Animations for animals are added as well.

11 Likes

Reminded me of the cows in the restaurant at the end of the universe: Ameglian Major Cow | Hitchhikers | Fandom .

2 Likes

A bunch of refactoring later and I can get back to figuring out which type of town goes where, balancing resources, etc…

For now, I’m visualizing the relative traffic through each potential town/city:

(click to embiggen)

White ‘stars’ represent road traffic throughput. Blue ‘stars’ represent sea traffic throughput. Number of points on the star represents amount of traffic. (Sea traffic seems to be boom or bust but note that only the center square can be considered ‘fully calculated’. The surrounding 8 grid squares are only calculated enough to get an accurate center square… when they are the center they will expand the map and get a better local picture, etc.)

Pretty easy to spot the potential cities and likely major sea ports.

I need to implement a more advanced property system in my mapping prototype so I can actually start to accumulate readable values for the towns because next will be showing resource needs and allocation and likely sources of local shortages, etc… (Where does the town with no wood get its wood. Where does the town with no stone get its stone, etc.)

11 Likes

A simple yet addictive racing game I’m creating for educational purposes.

7 Likes

remings me of Stunt Car Racer, Amiga 500 : madsdk : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive I played waaaay back when

Small feature I added to my level editor today. I call it texture deck, until now to change the material of a surface I had to press “M” to open the panel with all the materials and find the one through a long list:

Imgur

So if I wanted to apply the same material to several surfaces it became quite tedious. So I added a small “deck” where I can set five frequently used materials, choose one and click where ever I want to apply it, similar to a bucket fill tool:

Imgur

14 Likes

New Environment created.

7 Likes