Jump'n Run test game

I try to create a test game in the kind of a classic Jump’n Run.
Please tell me your opinions and possible bugs and new ideas.

Current functions are just “Speaking” with the sign, Changing scene by entering the green building, Attack the big Jaime model and “collecting” the Onigiri on the stairs.
Nothing special, but I want to implement all mayor functions needed for such a game.

(Developed with JME 3.5.2 and Minie 6.2)

Console commands:

Thank you

4 Likes

I added a push button and changed some other things.

You should put this on GitHub

1 Like

Thank you, I did.

It is the first time I use GitHub, hope I did all right.

2 Likes

I added some new stuff like Audio commands and moving platforms.

2 Likes

I’ve sent you some changes that I think will make your project easier to use:

3 Likes

Thank you very much

1 Like

I just committed a new version. The last months, I added scripting and ported the main functions into the script language for more easy object control and possible modding support.

Feedback is appreciated.

9 Likes

Hi @Nakano, just my two cents. Here are the aspects I found interesting in your demo:

1. The camera movements by interacting with points of interest on the map. (Try exploring JME’s Cinematic class as well).
  2. Transitions between internal and external scenes using the FadeFilter (I’d be curious to see how you handle loading/unloading scenes from memory and from the BulletAppState).
  3. The management of gravity and player movement when standing on platforms as they move down.
    It seems to me that you used neither BetterCharacterControl nor CharacterControl, but a completely custom approach.

Just my curiosity: I wonder why you wrote some of the logic in python instead of writing everything in java? Is Python your primary programming language by any chance?

Go ahead, and as soon as you can improve the graphics a bit with some filters and a background sky. Remember that Sinbad has sword animations; use them to break some boxes :wink:

1 Like

Thank you very much.

I will. I’m currently trying to make an animation event to try to create an event where the Player throws an item based on MotionPath.

I’m currently loading and unloading the complete scene. That is not effective, but I have no glue how many objects should be used in the complete scene.

To store values, each object has either a unique ID or “-1,” which implies no ID. Objects with an ID can store maps that might contain the keys “persistent” and “temporary”. The values in “persistent” should get stored in a savegame.

A script has this lifecycle:

requestLoad: Directly executed while adding the object. Has 2 purposes:

1. Get the stored values map as an argument.
  2. Can return true or false, depending on whether the object should get fully loaded.

onInit: Direct called, if requestLoad returned true.

onFirstUpdate: This method is called in the first update cycle after adding the object.

onUpdate: Called in the update cycle

beforeUnload (bad method name xD): Called when unloading the scene. Returns the Map to store, or null to remove the stored map by this ID.

onCleanup: Called after beforeUnload.

No, I usually use Python only for Shell scripts since it has too many disadvantages, in my opinion. I wanted to add an easy way for object control and modding support, and only 2 script languages came to mind: Lua and Python. Lua is very basic, while Python comes with a big API. With Jython, it is also possible to simply use all Java classes, and since Jython uses the SecurityManager, it is possible to create easy, powerful, but secure mods.

In my opinion, it’s much easier with Java to create stable, extendable applications, but with Python, it is more effective to write simple object behavior.

No, I usually use Python only for Shell scripts since it has too many disadvantages, in my opinion. I wanted to add an easy way for object control and modding support, and only 2 script languages came to mind: Lua and Python. Lua is very basic, while Python comes with a big API. With Jython, it is also possible to simply use all Java classes, and since Jython uses the SecurityManager, it is possible to create easy, powerful, but secure mods.
In my opinion, it’s much easier with Java to create stable, extendable applications, but with Python, it is more effective to write simple object behavior.

Thank you. Inwardly, I hope a Modeler gets interested and wants to develop the game together. xD No matter how good images and models look in my mind, I cannot create them.

The Player has an attack phase with right click to swing the weapon (in fact, a Gohei xD) but nothing that reacts on the Hits.

1 Like