(June 2014) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

I’m playing with deferred lighting in jme3.

Video instead of screenshot, so technically cheating, but it takes less space than 5 screenshots.

In order - world space normals, light cone visualisation, diffuse contribution, specular composition, final composition. Performance is quite bad, because there are 400 shadowcasting lights visible, but I prefer to run it in stress mode to see impact of any inefficiencies. Spot and directional lights are working, but not shadowcasting yet, so not showing them. Big thanks to kwando original implementation, which got me bootstrapped with that work.

11 Likes
@abies said: [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4qk7ok9vLs[/video]

I’m playing with deferred lighting in jme3.

Video instead of screenshot, so technically cheating, but it takes less space than 5 screenshots.

In order - world space normals, light cone visualisation, diffuse contribution, specular composition, final composition. Performance is quite bad, because there are 400 shadowcasting lights visible, but I prefer to run it in stress mode to see impact of any inefficiencies. Spot and directional lights are working, but not shadowcasting yet, so not showing them. Big thanks to kwando original implementation, which got me bootstrapped with that work.

Nice, i believe @t0neg0d has done something really cool with deffered lights and shadows too. I see a lot of topics about that, maybe it’s time to do something more official in the core…lighting + shadowing is costful in jme rith now. Everybody redo the same work on his own side…

Wow… made it halfway through the month before someone started this thread! :slight_smile:

I’ll throw one of my pics in at least to keep the ball rolling… and for anyone who isn’t already reading the other thread:

Actually, I did have a new one, too:

6 Likes

Not much, but I’m working on a new character control based off of Wolfire’s… It’s been fun going, but here’s the acceleration tilt (after having some fun with maths! =D) (basically the character tilts in the direction of the velocity, which is more noticeable once he builds up speed)
[video]- YouTube

Anyone working on animation blending so I don’t have to? XD

3 Likes
@pspeed said: Wow... made it halfway through the month before someone started this thread! :)

I’ll throw one of my pics in at least to keep the ball rolling… and for anyone who isn’t already reading the other thread:

Actually, I did have a new one, too:

That second pic looks really good, you got atmospheric fog now? =)

@nomnom

Hey, I had to run around the house to see if your character tilt’s were correct :D. I realized that one tilts to the left or to the right depending on the foot we are pressing on when turning. Also the side to which we are turning has an effect on it.

It is worth noting that GTA IV tries this type of physics/behavior.

@Pixelapp
hahahahahaha XD yeahh, that was an interesting side effect… The character does truly rotate in the direction of the velocity, as you could see with the strafing, but when he turns… Then, well, it rotates in the direction of the velocity XD I wanted him, when turning, to turn into the turn, if that makes sense; to have his center of gravity over the direction that he’s turning… Which can be achieved by in fact negating the velocity vector. But obviously, this leads him to rotate the opposite direction when he’s running forward, which definitely looks awkward… SO I chose the lesser of the two evils and went with the first one. It doesn’t look too bad once you modify the constants XD

@nomnom Yeah, I was just trying to be 100% accurate so you don’t have to think about fixing it again in the future.

@kwando said: That second pic looks really good, you got atmospheric fog now? =)

Nah, that’s just the light scattering. But I already have the shader library to do atmospherics for the ground and trees and stuff… I just haven’t hooked it up yet.

I got camera rotation working, A flash light working and Blender Exporting Animation via ogre export working :wink: Here is a giraffe and other random things I am playing with
[video]Added A Giraffe and a SuitCase To my JMonkey Test - YouTube

Also I usedd VideoRecorderAppState to make easy videos of my ingame progress

3 Likes

Since this became a nice video-fest, I’ll throw this over here too for posterity. :slight_smile:

Original post: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/isosurface-demo-dev-blog-experiment/page/4/#post-289772

3 Likes

While Paul was planting grass and gardening, Sinbad and Jaime decided to have fun
[video]JME3 animation retarget WIP - YouTube

That’s animation retargeting, there is still a lot of work to do, but I’m pretty happy because I failed miserably few years ago and decided to give it another try…Now it’s getting somewhere.

9 Likes
@nehon said: While Paul was planting grass and gardening, Sinbad and Jaime decided to have fun [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0RU-PwwrBM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

That’s animation retargeting, there is still a lot of work to do, but I’m pretty happy because I failed miserably few years ago and decided to give it another try…Now it’s getting somewhere.

Super cool ! We have some really nice projects coming :slight_smile:

Welcome to the jungle. I guess is my turn to show my pictures.

Below is the scene which is dynamically loaded from the hard drive, aka, open world. Yes I said it. Open World. :open_mouth:

In the second picture, below, you can see how drastically low the vertices and triangles count become by merely tilting the camera so the rest of the terrain is culled. If you look at the lower left of the picture you can read the data. Which shows this isn’t a huge terrain but rather a collection of terrains stitched together on the fly directly from heightmap pictures.

I’m glad to say that I’m happy with all the tech behind this game, and now I feel I can finally release it after all.

If you would like to use the tech shown in this picture just go to my github repository and get it there.

Special thanks to @jayfella for his awesome contribution.

Open-world games, here comes Jmonkey!

Any comments are greatly welcomed! Never mind the textures on the terrain, they are just placeholders.

4 Likes

Another prototype for a Fighting game titled “LastBlood”.

The character is a place holder from BlendSwap, and will be replaced soon.

The animation system is something worth mentioned:

I also doing researches about robust AI for a fighting game
Currently stick with ANN from CG:Skeelogy - A.I.Fighter

A case based AI with react with input of players for more challenges and feeling of real player is needed, but I don’t have any paper in the area yet, so suggestions are welcome…

6 Likes

Wow… this looks really cool!

Sorry for the stupid question, but the vid above is your implementation of the description of techniques your applying to procedural animations & smart objects?

That is just incredible! I can only image how the fighting game would work using this.

Hi @tonegod,

The video above belong to wolfire dev’s blog from 2009 and what I do is to do the same thing in JME3 system, the technique is quite outdate now because it’s still involve a lot of math stuff; but not paramaterized enough to use comfortablely by designer for example :).

Recently David Rosen give a talk about his system in Wolfire in GDC which is also really inspirated (i saw some guys in the forum 've talked about it).

I will try to make a reasonable video explain the technique later whenever i’ve done with the code and have my own figher models :slight_smile:

1 Like

Voxel asteroid.

4 Likes
@Neomex said: Voxel asteroid.

That looks great!

Working on jME3 and Dyn4j integration: adding joint support

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3flmjMYgMI[/video]
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6sZ-ZSNTyA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

5 Likes