(June 2016) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

Lol, nice! :smiley:
This is exactly what I had as my first JME Game ever.
Though I did the tube modelling in blender and it sucked and the physics and whatnot :stuck_out_tongue:

You just need MOAR SPEED! :wink:

1 Like

Hehe, thx :smile:

Tubes are procedural here, and 100 % of the circuit was made with my editor.

I can add some speed; currently trying to achieve the sensation of speed through other ways, but I will raise the max speed at some point. This being said, the higher the speed, the harder for the AI/path to avoid obstacles… but I have ways to deal with that.

Hi,

SkyHussars R6 is out

Release is available here:

The most important new features are:

• Number of maximum planes increased to 32.
  • No infinite bullets. Right now bullets have a range of 2km, after that they disappear.
  • Plane physics is now on a separate logic thread. Physics are multithreaded.
  • New background image in main menu with first SkyHussars logo.
  • New font for SkyHussars.
  • Very very very simple AI. It tries to keep the altitude, badly.
  • Slightly change ground texture configuration to make it look better.
  • Terrain features are changed, unfortunately water is not visible this time.

I had very limited time of development for this release, but I think it was quite succesful.

The obligatory video:

8 Likes

Got some more done on my “Death March” game:

The game is kind of like a cross between chess/checkers, battleship, and Minesweeper… if they ate a pack of D&D cards and had a baby.

You can see from his expended resources that he just placed a wizard. Time to probe for where he is using my archers.

For the super curious, a whole sequence of moves here:

11 Likes

I’ve recently released the first download of Ares:Dogfighter. Here’ a new gameplay vid to show progress:

I’ve had some people tell me they have performance problems, but it works fine for me (as is always the case). In the meantime I’m slowly adding features bit by bit.

7 Likes

Another screen taken from Skullstone, with 2nd style of dungeons.

16 Likes

Experimenting with Lemur and custom shaders. Custom shader overlays border icon with background icon as I don’t like to do it using geometry layering. (Shamelessly taken icons from Starcraft2 as placeholders.)

And a bit bigger version with ugly not scaled text.

4 Likes

Skylimit Tycoon

The graphics engine/mesh generator has been redesigned by @DannyJo and we have started to implement behaviour for people. Some additional models has been added for restaurants and offices.

Some more details at our devlog.
https://hub.kendanware.com/t/skylimit-tycoon-graphics-engine-redesign-ai-11/57/1

12 Likes

What is the best way to start making a space game? Spaceship power system customization mechanics look like a promising start :smiley:

Cube is just temporary until I get a better model. But since I put that plasma tank thing toghether in 5 min, maybe I could get something better than a cube :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Another ~three months have passed, so another progress video:

11 Likes

How did you create the sound for the spokesman at start of your game? Do you you use any special software ?

OpenKeeper is a remake of Dungeon Keeper 2, a 1999 title. We created 0 assets. The Mentor is an actor: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0725956/. We obviously couldn’t afford the guy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that legal :chipmunk:?

Hopefully. OpenTTD hasn’t bee sued. CorsixTH hasn’t been sued (a Bullfrog title remake too). Countless of others too. Like: http://osgameclones.com/

Make a clone is probably legal at least in europe (it seems that in america you can patent everything…) but i don’t think that reusing their assets is.

Distributing the assets would probably not be legal, but using them is completely legal. If you own the game, you own the assets in as much as you own the apple you ate yesterday or the desk you are sitting at. You just are not allowed to distribute copies of the assets.

1 Like

That’s right. You can dig our GitHub as much as you like but there are no copyrighted assets there :slight_smile:

More boring UI stuff:

Not much difference visually except icon tint and different border, but in reality there are some major changes

• icon border color is controlled by Lemur style
  • icon color is controlled by Lemur style (as in default shader - just multiplying it)
  • icon tint is controlled by Lemur style and is applied by custom shader (glsl mix, using tint color alpha)
  • button have multiple associated entries in Lemur style that could by applied with single command (kind of - for now I just replace element id for button with one taken from enum and force style update)

Icon and border placeholders are from Starcraft 2 again.

upd:
Icon border texture now is controlled by Lemur style as well, and last time I forgot to recolor border so here is one too

3 Likes

Looks amazing @tonihele!

1 Like

You don’t own the game, only a license to use it. You need to read the license to know what you can do or not.

It would however be quite tricky for them to prove that you used their assets…

1 Like