JVM problems with ntdll.dll

One of the members of my group on a game I’m working on created an executable jar file for our game. The jar file is meant to run with the required dll files in the root directory. Here’s my problem. All of my group member cans get the jar to run except for me, when I run the jar, I get the following error in a log file:

#

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

#

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x76f0235c, pid=7424, tid=5684

#

JRE version: 6.0_22-b04

Java VM: Java HotSpot™ Client VM (17.1-b03 mixed mode, sharing windows-x86 )

Problematic frame:

C [ntdll.dll+0x5235c]

#

If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp

The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.

See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

#

The error report goes on to show that this ntdll.dll file is located in my Windows system file folders. The error code does not appear consistently at the same line, which leads me to believe that there is a problem with my JVM. I am running 64 bit windows 7, but I am using 32 bit java. My java settings point it to the javaw.exe in my Program Files (x86).

I ran the jar from command prompt so that I could see the output. It seems that everything works until it actually needs to render things to the window.

I’m not sure what is going on, but I really need help.

Have you updated your grafic drivers? also what hardware do you have?

This seems like a driver issue (most likely) but it could also be a JVM issue.

Go to this page, select your OS and then download the driver named “Graphics Media Accelerator”

I believe I updated the drivers, not sure if I updated the right thing in the Device manager.

I’m running on Windows 7 64-bit with Dual Intel Pentium processor T4300 (2.1 GHz, 800 MHz FSB), Intel GMA 4500M graphics card and 4GB of memory.

Hrm, I tried to use that application to update my drivers but it told me that “The driver being installed is not validated for this computer.” I’m sure I downloaded the correct exe, so I’m not sure what is going on here.

Well it’s a intel onboard I would say it is the reason not everything behaves correctly. My netbook also has one and if stuff works it tends to look a bit different from how it looks on nvidia or ati cards.

Does the jme3 test cases work? Especially the simple ones, cuase then it might be a problem related to shaders.

Yeah, I can run jme in general on my computer. It’s just that I’ve been having problems with running executable jars specifically. But what should I do about updating my drivers since the application does not recognize that my computer is compatible? Also, I’m using an Acer Aspire 5732Z notebook if that changes anything.

Now I’ve run into a new error:

#

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

#

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0740f1b8, pid=3692, tid=8908

#

JRE version: 6.0_23-b05

Java VM: Java HotSpot™ Client VM (19.0-b09 mixed mode, sharing windows-x86 )

Problematic frame:

C [ig4icd32.dll+0x4f1b8]

#

If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp

The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.

See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

#

The dll changed, but it is also a Windows system file, located in Windows/System32. Not sure why the problematic dll changed. Has anyone seen this before?

If you’re just having issues running JARs, you might have a corrupted JVM, reinstall your JRE from http://www.java.com/

Its possible the driver link I gave you doesn’t match the graphics card you have, you can try intel’s driver utility instead, which is supposed to auto-detect the card.

I already reinstalled my JRE. I’ll try the driver utility. Thanks.

ig4icd32.dll is actually the intel graphics driver, since you have crashes in ntdll also (which is used by driver) this is most likely a driver issue. If its a memory overrun issue, then the dll where the crash occurs can be anything so the DLL name doesn’t really matter

This is the result of using that intel site:

A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

I guess that means that my laptop has something weird installed on it. I will try to find the driver on the Acer website.

http://www.laptop-software.com/acer-software/acer-aspire-5732-5732z-5732zg-windows-vista-7-drivers/

So I looked at that website and it seems that there hasn’t been a driver update since 2009, and I got my laptop in late 2009, after the update. I attempted to update my chipset from the Device Manager and it, as expected, told me that I had the most updated version. Where should I go from here?

Could I possibly reinstall my driver? Can you do that without seriously screwing stuff up?

Depends, it might go fine or it will make problems , both can happen.

I would maybee try to find a friend who can help you out XD

Help me out in what way?

Well basically if something goes wrong fixing it. Normally you should be able to do this yourself thoug, in worst case start it in safe mode and reinstall the original driver.

Alright, so since my driver is updated and there are still issues, is the only thing I can/should do be to uninstall and reinstall my chipset drivers?

Well not exactly

The Chipset / Graficcard drivers are modified by the vendor , this might be energy useage optimisations or other stuff (this is what the intel update stuff told you in that error message), however the vendors usally only supply very few updates and soon the driver is outdated.

You might try to install the intel generic one, and loose some specific features like having a reduced runtime without external power, but if they modificated it further it might not work at all, then you have to reinstall the chipset driver from your vendor.

On your own risk:

→ unistall driver currently installed

→ install generic driver from intel.

This might help, but even if it works I don’t know if the hardware you have does support jme3, I cannot guranntee this helps to get it to run.

Oh, I’m running jme 2. I guess I could try installing the intel generic driver. I tried manually installing the driver for my computer, hoping it would fix the dlls or something, but no such luck. The thing that I don’t understand is that I’ve been running my jme 2 project on my computer since around September and now all of the sudden I’m getting these new dll errors. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed except my jre, which only changed after I started experiencing these problems.