KeyInput : CTRL + Z

Hi all,

I am creating a sandbox editor with jmonkeyengine and nifty. I am looking for a way to listen
to the CTRL + Z keypress. Is there a way to do this ?

Yes.

Read the input tutorials.

It’s not there stupid

@daenim said: It's not there stupid

You’re right. Nothing there at all.
https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:advanced:combo_moves

…given the attitude, I suspect this will be the last help you get here. Savor it.

Most responses here are rtfm anyway, so don’t care. I’ll sort it out on my own.

And secondly the page you linked me is not referenced from the input handling topic, so supposedly I
should just telephatically know that that page exists?

I’'ll keep on using JMonkeyEngine but the ego of some of the developers doesn’t coincide with the current state of the project :slight_smile:

@daenim said: Most responses here are rtfm anyway, so don't care. I'll sort it out on my own.

And most of the time it’s used that is the 100% appropriate answer. Why have documentation that answers questions if you aren’t going to point users to it?

@daenim said: And secondly the page you linked me is not referenced from the input handling topic, so supposedly I should just telephatically know that that page exists?

An appropriate response might have been, “I looked at the input tutorial and didn’t see it.” Calling someone else stupid because you haven’t done the legwork is pretty over the line.

@daenim said: I''ll keep on using JMonkeyEngine but the ego of some of the developers doesn't coincide with the current state of the project :)

Yes, you insulted the only person who bothered to answer your question and we’re the ones with ego issues. Good luck with that.

You assume that I haven’t done the legwork. I’m using JmonkeyEngine quite a lot, and most of the time I can find the answer. Sometimes however I get frustrated after 2 hours of looking through documentation and missing it, and ask the question on the forum.

Why have a forum then?

The person who can’t manage to read tutorials calls me stupid for telling you where to find the information you need… You really are a useless little prick aren’t you?

If you want someone to write your game for you - hire them. If you want someone to patiently hold your hand as you work through the most basic input stuff that any half-competent programmer can work out from the first hell input tutorial alone (after all when I started with jME that is where I got the info to do exactly what you are asking for) then you might want to at least try being polite :wink:

Cos I guarantee that after that response you will be lucky to even get an RTFM in future.

Now I just re-read your initial question which was very vague and I realised that maybe you are trying to add an undo functionality to the nifty controls? That should also be possible and wouldn’t be covered by the jME tutorials. It happens that I do know how to do that too as I was looking at the nifty stuff a few months ago but unfortunately I’m too stupid to be able to explain it to you…

1 Like
@daenim said: You assume that I haven't done the legwork. I'm using JmonkeyEngine quite a lot, and most of the time I can find the answer. Sometimes however I get frustrated after 2 hours of looking through documentation and missing it, and ask the question on the forum.

Why have a forum then?

For the questions that aren’t answered by the documentation.

When I started to answer you in the first place, I was going to point out that detecting multiple key presses with the standard input tutorial isn’t hard. Just detect both presses, setting booleans and calling some method if both are true. But then I actually scanned down the documentation page and saw that there was already documentation on a more advanced approach… it even had the word combo in the name. So in all of your legwork, you didn’t look at the documentation page?

I’m not even objecting to your question or your lack of legwork as much as the totally inappropriate response to a 100% correct suggestion. We can’t assume all users need us to give full three page examples or write code for them. Nor would we have the time. That’s why there is documentation for the easier questions.

1 Like

I assumed that the input handling topic would be the starting point for all things concerning “input”. You are also a developer, so you might have had an idea that there was such a thing as combo moves. And I had considered the possibility of doing it like you suggested, because that is fairly obvious.

From my point of view the first response in this thread is boorish. It assumes that the documentation is perfect (it is not). It assumes that the person asking the question hasn’t done any legwork (not the case). The first response in this thread amounts to a big “**** you”. If you think that is appropriate, well that’s too bad I guess, maybe a bit typical of the defensive attitude of a lot of open source projects.

@daenim said: I''ll keep on using JMonkeyEngine but the ego of some of the developers doesn't coincide with the current state of the project :)

If I had an ego that made me demand more from people who already gave me a whole game engine for free – in addition to my uncompromising general attitude I guess I would just dump your user account to nirvana or change the license of jME to exclude you from free use.

@daenim said: I assumed that the input handling topic would be the starting point for all things concerning "input". You are also a developer, so you might have had an idea that there was such a thing as combo moves. And I had considered the possibility of doing it like you suggested, because that is fairly obvious.

From my point of view the first response in this thread is boorish. It assumes that the documentation is perfect (it is not). It assumes that the person asking the question hasn’t done any legwork (not the case). The first response in this thread amounts to a big “**** you”. If you think that is appropriate, well that’s too bad I guess, maybe a bit typical of the defensive attitude of a lot of open source projects.

As far as I can see you are the only one insulting others in this thread.

Great answer Normen, I guess QED

@daenim said: Great answer Normen, I guess QED

I take it you grew up in a rich neighborhood, else you wouldn’t have made it this far with that attitude. I guess a Monastery is the only place you can go insulting people while not having a self-fulfilling prophecy of “these people won’t help me”. :roll:

So, please, next time you post a question think about the content. You were actually just asking if its possible and got an answer, then insulted the person who answered. Your justification of “I did the footwork” etc. is not apparent from your first post. Include that information, best put the links to the documentation pages you already looked at. That should be no problem, after all you just looked at them and probably even have them open in the browser still.

Also, even if the content is just “RTFM”. If its the people who wrote that Fin M for you then R it the F!

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

@daenim said: I assumed that the input handling topic would be the starting point for all things concerning "input". You are also a developer, so you might have had an idea that there was such a thing as combo moves. And I had considered the possibility of doing it like you suggested, because that is fairly obvious.

We can only answer the question asked and assume using the information given. You told us zero about what you’d already tried and then want us to guess that you needed advanced help and then spend lots of time on it.

No thanks. Especially if I guess wrong then I will get called stupid.

Look, I use JMonkeyEngine for two projects (Started last year) and I like it. Most of the time I can find my way through the documentation, and implement the stuff that I want. Sometimes I just cannot find it immediatly and that’s when I ask my question on the forums like here: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/a-minor-irritation-with-createboxshapenode/

(notice how your first response on that thread about collision box shapes was that I should have read some basic tutorial?)

But apparantly if somebody asks a question here the assumption is that:

a) they are too lazy to read the documentation
b) they cannot program
c) they need 3 page source examples

If that are the assumptions, ok fine, it’s your forum, I’ll keep using JMonkey, but skip the forums.

@daenim said: Look, I use JMonkeyEngine for two projects (Started last year) and I like it. Most of the time I can find my way through the documentation, and implement the stuff that I want. Sometimes I just cannot find it immediatly and that's when I ask my question on the forums like here: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/a-minor-irritation-with-createboxshapenode/

(notice how your first response on that thread about collision box shapes was that I should have read some basic tutorial?)

But apparantly if somebody asks a question here the assumption is that:

a) they are too lazy to read the documentation
b) they cannot program
c) they need 3 page source examples

If that are the assumptions, ok fine, it’s your forum, I’ll keep using JMonkey, but skip the forums.

You complain about that thread? Seriously? Wow. Okay, as our idea of “normal” seems to have no Venn-style overlap with mine I’d say you’d have to explain it more thoroughly to me. Please post here the answers to both this and the linked one as you think we should have written them to be of good service for you, please.

I’m using that thread as an example of

a) How I struggled with something for some time, came up with a solution (after looking in the source code) and posted some feedback.
b) How your first assumption was that I didn’t understand or read the documentation

that’s all. That’s the basic attitude I’m complaining about.