Linux OpenGL errors

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 in Virtual Box because the Mac version won’t install for me, however I have the same problem. I have 3d enabled in the vm and blender runs fine however I get errors when starting the SDK, “Error opening openGL window! Error: failed to create display” and “Error opening openGL window! Error: java.lang.NullPointerException” and Error opening openGL window! Error: Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5,IDE Main]” I have also tried using openGL1 and there is no difference. When I try to run BasicGame I get errors as well. I have JDK7 installed from the repo. I also have installed Netbeans 7.2 w/ jdk7 installed on my macOS, Netbeans runs fine but the installer for jmonkey Starts and then instantly closes. I would really like to get jmonkey working again on both platforms or else I will have to learn Unity3d and probably start a new project.

lwjgl neither works in a virtual computer nor on a mac with Java7.
The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there’s emotes that hint otherwise or there’s an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.