Loading obj + mtl, can’t see textures

Hello everyone,

I tried loading an obj file, which btw contains a city model, but I can’t see the whole scene. It’s really strange, because when I move the camera, sometimes a piece of a texture appears, so I hold the position, then, by just moving the mouse or keyboard, it disappears. If I return to that same position, the texture appears once again. This doesn’t happen for all textures and the same happens when loading it into the SceneViewer or in a jME SimpleApp.

From the assets folder, where all the files are, I can load the obj file correctly inside Blender.

What is going on here??!

Thanks in advance,


Did you generate uv coordinates to your scene?How did you wrap it?It might be some flipped faces. Try recalculating normals outside by selecting all faces + ctrl+n. Why don’t you use OgreXml files instead wavefront.

Make sure “Normals” is selected in the OBJ exporter

I would rather prefer to use OgreXML indeed, however, the city geometry generates 2,200 meshes, and it is only a small sample of the real city. If you guys know any obj to ogrexml converter, i would appreciate. Blender always crashes when I try to export it using the plugin.

I shall try reexporting it as you advised me.


Well, thanks for the help, now I see the textures, although the light still awkward. I’m using AmbientLight so shadows shouldn’t been casted, right? When seen the scene from above, buildings are cut in half, depending on the height, and the floor is never draw.

Any possible settings change to correct this?



I found the floor! It was placed, by jme, as high as the buildings!!! To be sure everything still alright, when reloading the scene in blender it appears perfectly!


Are you using the Blender City Generator? If so, how did you get it imported into JME? I have been breaking my head open trying to import it into JME.

I am currently trying to export it using ogrexml format, but does not work.

Hi, I’m working with another commercial tool: CityEngine. Their obj exporting feature is not accurate and has some bugs, so I use Blender (2.57) to correct it. But my main steps are to use the obj+mtl format and import it into the JMP so it can be finally converted to j3o.

If you want to correctly export your textured model from Blender 2.57, after selecting export to “obj” and set a new empty folder for the output, mark on the exprting options tab only the following:

apply modifiers

rotate x90



high quality normals



triangulate (if your model is not triangulated)

objects as OBJ objects

Path Mode: Copy


Thanks biasutti, it works. Although only for simple models. As soon as i have a model that is a bit complex, it export properly. Its a start though.