Lock Picking in Script Blocks ... Help me think of Ideas

I was talking with a friend at the San Antonio Hacker Space (10bitworks.com) and he was explaining to me how keys and locks work. Now that I have the limited range finders I want to incorporate some sort of Key(BlockShape) and Lock(Range Finders hooked up to Logic Blocks).

Let me know if anyone has any Ideas.

Link on how locks work.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/household-safety/security/lock-picking1.htm

Thanks,

Greg

Well…

You have logic gates, aye? Maybe you implement a input interface for special logicgates so you can input a bitmask (or so) for the lock. This is representing the staves in the lock.

The key just has to have the same bitmask so you get a positive output out the lock.

Lockpicking could be implemented by taking a random number genereator and create random bitmask… Brute force so to say…

Am i aiming in the right direction? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@KuroSei I think you and I have the same idea on how it should work, but Im trying to figure out how I will use it in a game level.

I guess it could be as simple as build a key out of blocks that will trigger this logic gate output frequency of greater then 0.

Hmm maybe I will make a un-cut key on a detach block and have them add or take away the blocks that represent they teeth of the key.

Thanks for the input.

One way to use it ingame would be a logic gate. Its output is zero as long as none or a wrong key is attached to the input. Its output is true whatsoever when the right key is attached.

An other way i could think of is simply a physics dependent thing. Maybe you could combine the logic and the physics gates…

My idea here is, that you have the logic-lock and physical pin-blocks. Pin blocks can be grouped representing a keycode. This pingroup is then attached to the logic-lock-block ( haha, rhymes :smiley: ).

Whenever the right key is inserted, so the logic-block outputs true, the group changes to an off state. If the output is false the pingroup triggers to an on state.

There we have 2 options:

Blocks of type A wont change (They represent 0 in the bitmask)

Blocks of type B will add One block automaticly in the direction they face.

maybe even type C with 2 Blocks attached so you have a greater level for security… and pinsize. :stuck_out_tongue:

This way you could actually build doors… or locks… or build that thing in logic gates and combine it with rangers… haha. awsome stuff.

I love your project. It reminds me of garys mod. :smiley:

ScriptBlocks Logic Gates and Limited Range Finders to make a Key Lock system that opens a door :slight_smile:

@KuroSei Thanks for you help. This is what I came up with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm-njGHdCo

Awsome!

I like! Now i understand clearly what you wanted to do. I thought yous earched a way with which cou yould combine locks with rangers or so. But you wanted to build the lock-mechanics totaly with rangers… It looks so awsome. :slight_smile: I like!