Marching Cubes, Triplanar Mapping, Multires Textures, and Lemur

@radanz said: Running now, with default options I get 20-30 fps (win7 32-bit, core2duo 2.67Ghz, nVidia GT630, windowed 1280x720)

Turning on shadows terminates with error:

trying some more…

Cheers,
-Radan.

Yeah, I get this error too which is why it’s off by default. It’s a strange error.

@pspeed said: Yeah, I get this error too which is why it's off by default. It's a strange error.

Works pretty well for me too. (w7 64 bit, nVidia GTX 560 and an i5 2500K processor 3.3GHz).

Fullscreen, 16x anti aliasing, all filters 10 fps :'(, minus the SSAO wich is the most costful for me 30fps, and 10 fps more without water…other filters don’t change more than 1 fps.

4 to 5 scedons to load the whole map.

Btw, no error when i turn on shadows…

After modified some settings, i can have some beautiful landscapes :slight_smile:

@haze said: After modified some settings, i can have some beautiful landscapes :)

It might be interesting to see what settings people liked the best. The SysReq key will take screen shots using the screen shot app state. Could be cool to see pics posted here maybe.

i7 @ 4.5GHz + ati 7970. I get a solid 100fps fullscreen @ 1920x1080 with shadows off and about 60 with shadows on. Shadows don’t cause any crash for me.

Just ran it on my GamePC: AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz + ATI 7850 on Win7 64-bit, also at fullscreen 1920x1080: at default start values I get ~50fps (looks real nice)
Also turning Shadows on works! could it be 64-bit OS? or High end gfx? I will note that I see some z-fighting in the shadows when its on, I’ll try to get a screen shot if you want, may or may not be related.

With all effects off except water its around 150fps, everything on including shadow is 20-30fps

Interesting…
-Radan

It does not work =/ (I got a mac and I’m not surprised).

@kwando said: It does not work =/ (I got a mac and I'm not surprised).

Yay… I mean… sorry… but yay, that it’s at least not in my own shader. :slight_smile: SSAO has problems, I guess.

SSAO doesn’t add much to this visualization… maybe I should just remove it or leave it off by default.

So I’ve uploaded a new version for those who are still interesting.

Major changes:
-turned off SSAO by default so that maybe Mac users can run it.
-added endless paging… so you can fly forever in any direction, though the terrain gets more ‘interesting’ as you go
-left ctrl + shift is super run. Regular movement: 3 m/sec, shift+move: 10 m/sec, ctrl+shift+move: 20 m/sec
-debug HUD showing memory consumption and world location.

Keys I forgot to mention before:
F3 - hides the HUD
F5 - hides the JME stats
SysReq/Prt Scr - takes a screen shot

Here are the links again:
http://mythruna.com/temp/IsoSurface/IsoSurfaceDemo-Windows.zip
http://mythruna.com/temp/IsoSurface/IsoSurfaceDemo-Linux.zip
http://mythruna.com/temp/IsoSurface/IsoSurfaceDemo-MacOSX.zip

The pager is still a bit of a mess and I want to clean it up a bit. I plan to add grass as that will better test my goals for the pager supporting multiple grid sizes and such.

There is a bit of a frame hiccup when crossing page tile boundaries but it didn’t really show up until I started deleting the direct buffers… right now I do it on update() but the plan is to build reclaimation into the threaded builder. I also saw some weird tile drops and misgenerated geometry so I’ve added some ReentrantLock access to the builder and updater just to check for errors. This could be helping with the hiccups also since even the null tiles access the lock.

If you fly far enough, the density field generator seems to have some floating point precision issues. Normally I’d have used double throughout but float was easier so I used it. Anyway, at about 16,000 units out you get cool stuff like this:

It’s a problem with the fractal and not the system in general… and everything already more than meets my own purposes so I’m not going to worry about it.

1 Like

@Paul that’s fixed (the ssao thing)

@nehon said: @Paul that's fixed

Ok, I’m building against stable (at least I’m supposed to be)… so I’ll just leave it off by default now.

For those who just click “Latest post” and don’t scroll up. :slight_smile:
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/marching-cubes-triplanar-mapping-multires-textures-and-lemur/page/2/#post-265449

@pspeed, oh I did not read the exception =P just pasted it here, anyway you can be happy once again cause i got a new one that is not your “fault” =) This time LightScattering.frag is the offender…

Someone should make a better error dialog… on OSX you cannot copy the error message from that JOptionPane… hence the screenshots =P

@kwando said: @pspeed, oh I did not read the exception =P just pasted it here, anyway you can be happy once again cause i got a new one that is not your "fault" =) This time LightScattering.frag is the offender..

Someone should make a better error dialog… on OSX you cannot copy the error message from that JOptionPane… hence the screenshots =P

Heheh… we are giving @nehon work one exception at a time. :slight_smile:

If anyone tries to download at this second, it might fail… I’m uploading news ones with most filters turned off by default.

Ok, new versions are uploaded with only water and bloom on by default.

See this post for links:
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/marching-cubes-triplanar-mapping-multires-textures-and-lemur/page/2/#post-265449

P.S.: I find it really fun to try to stay close to the surface, especially in the valleys, with ctrl+shift held and try to navigate without crashing… which is about what game I wanted to make when I started this. :slight_smile:

Plotting potential grass locations with properly interpolated normals:

As mentioned elsewhere, this is mostly made possible by the dependency management in the pager letting the grass wait to generate until the underlying terrain has been generated.

4 Likes

Noise based offsets for plots and multi-octave noise for plot density:

1 Like

Starting to look like something:

I’ll tweak the colors and shading after I write the custom shader because the shader will change the look enough that it’s best to wait.

6 Likes

Nice work! =)

I think I need some trees now.

2 Likes