Material Editor preview not showing up

I don’t know if this was posted here before but…

I have an issue with the JME 3.1 Material Editor, it simply doesn’t show me the preview
of what I’m doing with the material; here’s a photo:

and it also has this strange error that I think is causing the problem:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Incomplete draw buffer.
	at com.jme3.renderer.opengl.GLRenderer.checkFrameBufferError(GLRenderer.java:1425)
	at com.jme3.renderer.opengl.GLRenderer.updateFrameBuffer(GLRenderer.java:1590)
	at com.jme3.renderer.opengl.GLRenderer.setFrameBuffer(GLRenderer.java:1735)
	at com.jme3.renderer.RenderManager.renderViewPort(RenderManager.java:1072)
	at com.jme3.renderer.RenderManager.render(RenderManager.java:1137)
	at com.jme3.gde.core.scene.SceneApplication.update(SceneApplication.java:321)
	at com.jme3.system.awt.AwtPanelsContext.updateInThread(AwtPanelsContext.java:194)
	at com.jme3.system.awt.AwtPanelsContext.access$100(AwtPanelsContext.java:44)
	at com.jme3.system.awt.AwtPanelsContext$AwtPanelsListener.update(AwtPanelsContext.java:68)
	at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglOffscreenBuffer.runLoop(LwjglOffscreenBuffer.java:125)
	at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglOffscreenBuffer.run(LwjglOffscreenBuffer.java:156)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I’m a beginner by the way.

Hmm, what graphics adapter you are wielding? And you have up-to-date drivers for it? Just in case. I’ve never seen this kind of an error.

This seems like your GPU driver doesn’t support some OpenGL functionality, as that is usually the source of the incomplete draw buffer errors. As tonihele said, please tell us what GPU are you using and try to update the drivers.

My GPU driver is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series, I’ve tried to update the drivers but they’re up to date.

1 Like

What OS are you using (win 7, 8, 8.1, 10? x86? x86_64?), and what version of Java (6? 7? 8? x86? x86_64? oracle? openjdk?)?
That is a very old GPU. Released in 2009, and only supports opengl 3.3
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 IGP Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database

That GPU is not officially supported in Windows 10, and may have further restrictions in opengl compatibility/support when running in Windows 10. If running in windows 10, it is recommended to install the ATI Windows 10 legacy driver.

Also, JME 3.1 is quite old now. You may want to move to a newer version such as 3.4.0.

2 Likes

My OS is Windows 7, and I have Java 11

Is the OS 32bit or 64bit, is the jvm 32bit or 64bit, which distribution of the jvm?

My OS is 64bit, but how would I know if the JVM is 32bit or 64bit, and the distribution of the JVM?

If you run the command java -version you should get the jvm info.
For example:

> java -version
openjdk version "17.0.1" 2021-10-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Temurin-17.0.1+12 (build 17.0.1+12)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Temurin-17.0.1+12 (build 17.0.1+12, mixed mode, sharing)

Is my computer.

Well, here is mine:

java  version "11.0.11" 2021-04-20 LTS
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.11+9-LTS-194)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11.0.11+9-LTS-194, mixed mode)

Could you paste “Output - Application” content from SDK just after you start it?
You might have similiar problem to mine, where SDK was constantly using integrated graphic card instead of regular one, throwing errors left and right and not really doing it’s job.

1 Like

Sure, here it is:

OpenGL Renderer Information
* Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
 * Renderer: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
 * OpenGL Version: 3.3.11672 Compatibility Profile Context
 * GLSL Version: 3.30
 * Profile: Core