May (2014) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

@Empire Phoenix said: Finally having something to show :) This is a simple prototype spaceship, that is capable of autoconfiguring it's engines. Eg to compensate the loss of the left main engine in battle.

As usual I’m my greatest enemy to get something done.
-> I want my spaceships to be really steered by the engines, so that they can also be properly crippled in fights ect.
-> I need a mapping from user input to enginepower for each engine
-> Making these by hand is quite time consuming, this should be done by a Support Navigation Computer (SNC)
(eg how much power to wich engines to maximize z+ but keeping all other movements and torque minimal)
-> Great this is actually an NP problem with and O(n^n), but I need at least 20 Engines for a acceptable ship size.
-> Finding an alternative Algorithm that can compute this in a better time (still O(n^2), but this works fast enough for up to 25 Engine now.

And now I understand why so far no other space Game had actual engine physics.

…I hate math…
Now I can hopefully do something about this horrible placeholder models and stubs ^^

This is really neat. Can’t wait to see a vid of how they maneuver once you can.

Concept for ingame radar

Ps.
an video of the ship in action will come later, after i have some kind of damage system.

2 Likes
@Empire Phoenix said: Concept for ingame radar

Ps.
an video of the ship in action will come later, after i have some kind of damage system.

Wow… that looks really cool. Is this going to float semi transparent over the HUD? Or be rendered to a portion of the HUD?

Well it will be transparent, but a part of the hud, currently I think in the upper right.

1 Like

And finally concept to ingame

Also note asteroids should probably be excluded from radar ^^

@t0neg0d

For character modeling my favorite right now is Fuse by Mixamo. I recommend anyone to use it.

Also, Mixamo is a great site all around. I suggest everyone to use it.

@Empire Phoenix said: Also note asteroids should probably be excluded from radar ^^

lol… master of the understatement. :slight_smile:

My Blendswap Arcade submission:

Hello monthly screenshot champs! Working on anything cool these days? Whether it’s the same thing as it was back when this thread started or something brand new, however big or small, please consider sharing it for the 2015 jMonkeyEngine showcase video:

Keep the WIPs coming!