(May 2015) Montly WIP screenshot thread

No new thread on 5th? :stuck_out_tongue:
Well,i think i’ll open one with a video of mine:

Come on guys,let’s get creative!

6 Likes

Yay, it’s the WIP thread! I always love looking at these. :smile:

Nice one, aegroto!

@aegroto: Looks pretty cool, what type of game are you working on there?

With my turn based strategy Carpe Diem I’m currently working on a music player, pictured above, so rather than include some royalty free music the player can just listen to their own music in MP3 or Ogg format.

I still have plenty to do with this, but eventually I plan on making it so that you can create and manage your own playlists. Pictured here is the player window, which only houses the file browser button right now, and a file browser where the player can browse their entire hard drive for music and then load it into a playlist or directly into the play queue.

The file browser doesn’t have an icon for the taskbar yet, but will soon enough, keep forgetting to whip one up. The browser features forward and back buttons alongside the traditional parent directory button for navigating through the browsing history. Navigate to a folder via double click, select a folder/file with a single click or select multiples with shift/ctrl click.

I had to make my own NiftyGUI control for this because I didn’t really care for the default ListBox control. This custom control is a little more versatile in that it doesn’t require a statically defined number of visible rows, the window can be resized and list items are added and removed on the fly as they enter and leave the visible area.

The music player will be accessible throughout the game, even while loading. The player window itself is also resizeable.

I’ll probably make this custom list control available for download on my website when it’s polished and I find time to add some comments and such.

P.S. I happened to note, while working on this, that apparently NiftyGUI label controls don’t display strings that start with the $ sign. A few folders on my HD start with that, namely the Windows Recycle Bin folder, $Recycle.Bin, and it wouldn’t display the folder name unless I removed the $ sign.

3 Likes

Already posted in another thread, but advertising is always nice :slight_smile: A progress update from our Dungeon Keeper II remake:

10 Likes

The player looks nice,hope it’ll be integrated in the final game :smile:

Anyway the game will be an FPS arena with many gamemodes and a mod system for maps and gamemodes themselves.
The head GM will be a MOBA with arena mechanics,but you know,all it’s still to be realized and variations are always spontaneous :slight_smile:

Not specifically an engine project, but nonetheless a jmonkey project…

A resources website for all things related to jmonkey, allowing contributors to upload and showcase their resources. A lot like steam, but for jmonkey resources. Coming soon to a java engine near you.

12 Likes

Awesome Jay!

Is it going to have an asset section?, it would be great and users would use it a lot more than the built-in system on the sdk.

The 3.1 jMonkeyEngine SDK got an enhancement
Fresh new scenecomposer tool !

9 Likes

I need to test this, nice work :wink:

Oh it’ll definitely make it into the final game, I’ll probably use JavaFX for MP3 playback, but if I can’t get it to work there are other open source Java MP3 playback libraries, though I can’t imagine that I wouldn’t be able to get JavaFX’s implementation working.

Just polished off the ListPanel control, it’s pretty quick now. I have a couple of questions though before I post it to my site. First, I’m using jME 3.0 which is using an older version of Nifty, does 3.1 use a newer version of Nifty and is that version backwards compatible with older custom controls?

Secondly, this particular control I made is based off of the NiftyGUI ScrollPanel control, I just copied the source from the ScrollPanel control and then made a few modifications to it, because most of the code is from the default Nifty ScrollPanel control does that mean I’m not allowed to distribute this new control?

P.S. To be honest I’m starting to get the impression I’m the only jME user still using Nifty anyway :smiley:

Personally I really like it, though I haven’t tried the other available GUIs. Nifty has a few quirks and bugs, but as of yet I haven’t found any quirks I haven’t been able to work around.

Just one Note: decoding mp3 in games costs 1500 USD usually.

Most applications like VLC ignore those Patents but it’s worth mentioning. Google a bit.

And here:http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/games.html

Yeah,you need to pay commercial license to use mp3 format in your game.

@Darkchaos & @aegroto: The JavaFX media library does not include MP3 decoding libraries, instead it relies on the user’s installed MP3 support. If the operating system running the game does not have installed support for MP3 playback then JavaFX won’t be able to play it.

This is how the Java folks got around paying MP3 license fees for Java distributions, they’re not distributing the MP3 decoder and neither would I be. You’re not paying for the ability to play MP3s, you’re paying for the right to distribute the MP3 decoder and/or encoder. Carpe Diem would use JavaFX for this and JavaFX uses the end users already installed decoder so the end user would have already paid for it either through buying Windows, OSX or however Linux users get around that issue.

P.S. For me, of course, this isn’t an issue. Since I’m allowing the player to play their own music then I’d have to imagine that if they don’t have existing MP3 support then they probably don’t have any MP3s to play anyway.

P.P.S. You could look at it this way. Years ago I had a Nokia N95 which came with a music player. It also came with the song In My Heart by Moby. Now Nokia had to pay Moby for the right to distribute that song with their phone, but Nokia didn’t have to pay the artists for all the other songs that people already had and played through the N95.

Another way to look at it. None of the games I’ve ever bought came with nVidia, ATI or Intel graphics drivers. Instead they relied on the drivers that the end user already had installed and if they didn’t have those drivers installed then the game didn’t work and that was their problem, not the developers.

Yeah, but imagine the following:

Apple has paid that license fee for their iOS/iTunes/whatever, but still you can’t supply an iOS App which uses mp3 (atleast that’s what I got after some research (targeting unity users, but well)).
There has to be a reason why they specify “Games” as specialy license term.

Sure, if you say you are only using it if it’s available then you are not really supplying it, but infact you might be using it.

You could give your users the hint to use ogg converters, but that sucks.
Also I wanted to stream online radio stations instead of buying (non)proprietary music nobody likes, but they also use mp3.

PS: If you have under 5000 copies you are license free, but I don’t know how they measure that, downloads?

I guess I could look at the license. As I understand it Oracle doesn’t have to pay MP3 licensing fees for Java/JavaFX because they’re not distributing it, only using what the user already has installed. I suppose it didn’t occur to me that their license might have specific rules for games, but there are two arguments I have here. First of all I, as the developer, am not using the MP3 decoder, the end user is. I am only supplying a means for them to use it, but not actually using it myself. Secondly I’m not selling Carpe Diem.

Edit: And it’s only similar to how a torrent site is only providing a means to access torrents, but not actually hosting them. The difference being that I’m not providing the user a means to use something illegal. They already paid for their MP3 decoders, I’m only supplying a means to use that which they already bought. Really don’t see why I would have to pay someone so that someone else can use something they already paid for.

I suggest to support flac and ogg instead. Plus a converter that leverages an installed ffmpeg for one click solutions.
That way ffmpeg has the mp3 support and the use has to provide it.

1 Like

That’s what I’m already doing. The player will support MP3 and Ogg, haven’t thought about flac, and MP3 support only comes from what the user already has installed.

Well main benefit would be, that ogg codec is within jme already, so works 100% without any hassle or any ties attached.
Also it does not require a working JavaFx codec integration (wich under non windows systems sometimes is not working really well)

They will be available in the sdk as normal too, but eventually there will be a link like jme://8575734 on the website that will open up a dialog on the sdk to install the resource. The main problem is that the sdk doesn’t have the space to show off the resource like a website can. This way we get the best of both worlds; a cool website to show off resources, and an easy to install system.