(May 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

That’s because you used the “Image Link” instead of the “Direct link”.

2 Likes

very nice work!

2 Likes

This question might sound a little stupid but why is your game so good looking? Everything seems so high detailed, the light and shadow setting does a great job, your models look great etc. May I ask how you have achieved this?

1 Like

I spent a lot of time polishing shader. This is not only NdotL, but it is mixed with several custom formulas. Diffuse and specular channels are compressed with DXT1 but for normal maps we are using DXT5n.
For shadows I’m using Poisson’s Disc (from stock shaders), additionally I’m blurring edges using noise pattern (similar technique to noise in SSAO), noise strength depends on angle between light vector and surface. I’ll show a screen that exposes it later.
Models are made by skilled guy, same as textures.

Finally - I’m not using FXAA 2.0 which blurs the image like hell. I found FXAA 3.11 adapted for OpenGL and some 3rd party software which I adapted for my game. @thetoucher got the code from me and I think that he is able to make it useful for general purpose and will put it into JME. (I can give that code to anyone who want to add it to JME’s repo, just PM me email, it is zipped)

5 Likes

Shadows in Skullstoneare are based on shadowmaps and mostly, on the code taken from stocks shaders.
(1) shows how it looks with Poisson only - the angle and distance to the light effects in pixelization.
In (2) ‘random’ values are applied to sample coordinates - looks a bit better.
Now it comes (3) with another level of sampling - for small angles there are 2 or 3 samples of whole shadow calculation with different scale multiplier used to ‘generating random’ value.

*random value means a value taken from random texture, the same which is used in SSAO.

I think that here it looks really nice (enlarge to 100% or more):

8 Likes

That’s very nice…
What about performance?

1 Like

1600x900 = about 100fps on 7 years old PC (Core 2 duo) with GTX 750 Ti.

It depends on how many animated models I have on the scene and how many shadowcams they affects, because if there is no change in shadowcam’s frustum I’m not updating shadowmap. On the above scene there was about 150 fps, as far as I remember.

1 Like

I’m sorry i don’t have any in-game screens to show you this month, but i’ll post a photo of me with students, teachers and visitors after my speech at Google I/O extended :slight_smile: Hope i’ll help the community to grow.

https://my.mixtape.moe/awgpcb.jpg

21 Likes

Still working on my tutorials (Written in Chinese), the progress is 14/20 by now. I’m happy that it would be finished in June as my plan. :grinning:

The tutorials is published on my blog for now. But I will contribute it to wiki after I finished and reviewed all the articles.

Source code on Github: jmecn/jME3Tutorials

jME3 tutorial for beginners

Index

Chapter 1 Introduce jME3

Chapter 2 Basic concepts

Chapter 3 Model

Chapter 4 Mesh

Chapter 5 Material: the light magic

Chapter 6 Material System

Chapter 7 Light and Shadow

Chapter 8 Scenegraph

Chapter 9 User Interaction

Chapter 10 Graphics User Interface

Chapter 11 3D Audio

Chapter 12 Animation (not finished…)

Chapter 13 Effects

Chapter 14 Collision Detects

Chapter 15 Physic Engine

Chapter 16 Terrain

Appendix I: History of jME3
Appendix II: 3D Game Terminology
Appendix III: Math in jME3

I use Lemur as the default GUI option in my project. I wish to make as many examples as I can.

Such as: net.jmecn.lemur.MusicPlayer

Btw, last month I got 6 more people who have interests in making game with jME 3.1. I feel myself like a missionary. :stuck_out_tongue:

20 Likes

My first steps with my first sim-eth-es based game. I had quite a lot of fun to implement the weapon system (not in terms of an es system btw.).

By now I try to find out to have a sphere map instead of a flat map.

4 Likes

How did you then do the weapons?

1 Like

I picked up the dirver idea from @pspeed and made that entity based (was not in his example, but there was an comment that this could be done more es like) and improved that, so my minigun bullets and rocket do have their own driver, which are applied then with es style to the MOB. The weapon do have a control interface which is not es entity as I do only need this for the client and nobody else needs this information. The weapon controls are actually a entity creator (bullets, rockets) with the correct componens applied. So the ejected projectils are entity based, but not the weapon itself.

I’m looking forward when I have my follow target (or swarm how erver I will call it) system :slight_smile: I then have a smart rocket, currently it is not (I then even can have smart what ever, also the bullets like in the fivth element)…

EDIT: the weapon control is on the server of course, just not as an ES entity, as I didn’t need that information in any system. In the past I overdid it many times with “everything is an es entity” I guess, even @pspeed suggest me in some cases it is ok to do it OO like.

1 Like

Found some time to create a custom character. Don’t blame me for the video. That was the hardest part :wink:

It is based on my bullet es wrapper and only a small demo to give me a feeling of what is doable with it and to show me bugs. I’m very happy so far with it. I will upload this demo after cleaning it up. You probably can’t use it because it only works with my library and is no control. If there is a bigger interest I can talk about the tricks I used (mostly simple physics observations).

Now let’s come to the features:

• multijump (I thought about wall jumps. They are doable but I don’t need them)
  • doesn’t stick on walls
  • doesn’t slide on hills
  • handles stairs
  • doesn’t go crazy on surface irregularities
  • accelerates to a given max speed in m/s
  • changeable slowdown behaviour

I hope I didn’t forget anything. It is very easy to extend this character because of the underlying es.

By the way I love to see your work in the monthly threads. You all are doing a great job!

Edit: Link to a small explanation

8 Likes

@janvonpichowski Actually that sounds like some tough problems to solve, I’m sure a lot of people would like to see your approach in its own thread.

3 Likes

Some progress with the scene :smiley:

And the same scene with some wind and sounds!

18 Likes

Looking good, but it feels as if something’s missing. Probably SSAO and/or shadows.

Now it just needs inverse kinematics for leg bones :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The quality of my graphics and the interface are definitely lacking in comparison to your guys’ work :laughing: I’m really liking your windmill scene, especially the animated grass and trees.

I’ve been working on touching up a lot of my game’s mechanics, and I just got a lightweight physics system finished up and working so I can spawn in a bunch of enemies at once.

10 Likes

Nice!!
The water renders over your effects. You should do this:
Place them in the Translucent Bucket
Add a TranslucentBucketFilter as the LAST filter in the FilterPostProcesor.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ve been meaning to ask someone what I need to do to fix that haha, I appreciate it :smile:

1 Like

Working on magic missiles right now. I found that JME’s examples have great explosion so I adapted it to my game and used it for fire missile. Every magic spell have 8 power levels, so I just need to copy+paste that missile 7 more times and adjust values (particle count, low/high life) to have more ‘powerful’ effects.
I think that soon we will make some video with all those explosions :wink:

8 Likes