md5reader2: normals missing! (previously Collada import error thread)

Look at my last message about the md5reader2 problem please…

FPSNode's vertex/poly/mesh counter shows that there should be more than 1000 vertex on the screen!But it's totally invisible, I can see through it.

http://ear.ath.cx/jme/ Here you can find the DAE file for collada. It's exported from Blender with Collada exporter.

(blender: http://forum.freegamedev.net/index.php?t=getfile&id=429&S=c149e6641181bb04adf5b0f5547a7d9d )

Can someone professional tell me what's the problem with the collada XML? I cannot find the cause of it.

You can test it with TestMipMaps of JMEtests too, I've tried that one for the foolproof test. :)

InputStream mobboss = new FileInputStream(new File("./data/models/fauna/gorilla_walking1.dae"));
        // this stream points to the animation file. Note: You don't necessarily
        // have to split animations out into seperate files, this just helps.
        InputStream animation = new FileInputStream(new File("./data/models/fauna/gorilla_walking1.dae"));
        if (mobboss == null) {
            System.out
                    .println("Unable to find file, did you include jme-test.jar in classpath?");
            System.exit(0);
        }
        // tell the importer to load the mob boss
        ColladaImporter.load(mobboss, "model");

Loads correctly, I can see the poly counter showing the right amount, but the model is totally invisible...(of course it can be some kind of blender settings that I should check, but which one is yet mysterious to me.

PS:
shot:

(if I turn of bounding box view, I can see nothing at all, but counters are the same (minus the bounding box counts), this box is from really close in TestMipMaps)

When I loaded that with the ModelLoader I could see that there is some mesh there, it is just enlongated and very dark:

Thanks for trying! weird, it doesn't really remind me of the gorilla it once was! :slight_smile: There seems to be some problem with the compatibility of the collada file and the jme importer… but what's that?

Anybody an idea? Or someone who uses Blender exported Collada in JME? What's the trick to make it working?

This is a rather serious issue for me currently, I find md3 not so nice a way for blender exported models, collada would be so cool…this bothers me much, there Must be a way to connect the opensource modeler with the opensource Java 3d engine with the only open 3d animated file format jme can export!.. hope I'll find a nice solution soon for the jcrpg game.almost a go-nogo problem.

2008.01.23. 12:42:52 com.jmex.model.collada.ColladaImporter processNode
WARNING: Bone uper_leg_R is not attached to any vertices.
2008.01.23. 12:42:52 com.jme.scene.Node attachChild
INFO: Child (uper_leg_R) attached to this node (Scene)
2008.01.23. 12:42:52 com.jme.scene.Node <init>
INFO: Node created.
WARNING: Bone lower_leg_R is not attached to any vertices.
INFO: Child (lower_leg_R) attached to this node (uper_leg_R)
WARNING: Bone foot_R is not attached to any vertices.
INFO: Child (foot_R) attached to this node (lower_leg_R)

This is on the log... it seems that the exporter gives something really incoherent regarding the nodes and such...maybe this is an blender/exporter related problem. Anyone tried to use blender/collada + jme? Some kind of hacking to make it work?
timong said:

Anyone tried to use blender/collada + jme? Some kind of hacking to make it work?

A few people have tried this, and posted different fixes in order to make it work (for both the jME skeletal system and the blender exporter). Search the forum, you'll no doubt find the posts. I tried all fixes I have seen so far, but nothing really worked for me.

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=5798.0

This is the case for me too, now I've found it…

BUT if I wrap a new texture around the same model in blender, for example just Project From View some image, then the same model with no other changes appear smoothed in jME and all vertices seem to have just one shared normal..

If I do this, it works! Looks I'll have to stick to that kind of UV mapping to make it smooth and working. Well, yeah, at least I've a way to go now! :)

Here you will find my blog post about this all:

jClassicRPG - Developer Blog: Animation goes live

Direct link to youtube video showing the finally smooth and waling gorry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSv-SJ-KcKM