Mobile Support

Hi,

I am just curious, are there any plans to support other mobile platforms like you support the android platform?

Newer Windows Phones (Lumia)
iOS (iPhones/iPads) - I know there is some iOS support going on, unfortunately I do not have a testing device though.
The upcoming Samsung OS (Tizen or something)
Blackberry OSs (Z10 +)

Pretty sure itā€™s no, because jmonkey is written in java, and android is the only platform with java support. It would be hard to support others, because a) the whole thing would have to be rewritten in a new language and 3d API (Windows phone uses XNA). B) Every update would also have to be written in each language and 3d API.

Actually the engine runs on iOS with some black magic and Avian, there is no renderer yet though so you wonā€™t se anything =P I wish I got both the time and skill to implement it in C/Objective-C.

1 Like

Yes we will support iOS through native compilation with Avian as kwando mentioned.

For other platforms like consoles, PS4 why not, as it supports opengl and seems a lot more ā€œindie friendlyā€ than the PS3ā€¦ but forget about the xbox, because it uses directX.
Anyway consoles are still in the realm of far fetched possibilities, but ios will come eventually.

1 Like

iOS is planned and in progress.

All those other OSes you mentioned (Iā€™m surprised you didnā€™t mention FirefoxOS and Ubuntu-for-phones, I find those far more exciting) are very unlikely to be officially supported until they have a significant market share. And looking at the competition, quite a few contenders are destined to perish, like so many before them (Windows Phone vX, RIM, WebOS, Meegoā€¦)

1 Like
<cite>@erlend_sh said:</cite> iOS is planned and in progress.

I am really, really excited to read this !

Atm the ( not tracking the others) WPx market share is around 5.6% ( according to url) and growing gradually, indicating it may well take over iOS , if you believe :

http://blogs.computerworld.com/windows-phone/22336/acer-passes-windows-phone-complains-no-one-knows-about-it

I personally own a Wp7 device ( samsung flash) which I love, meaning Im so over androidā€™s tiny little icons.I love windows 8 ( which I have) for the same reason I love my Wp device. I love metro UI and if I could afford a touch monitor iā€™d already have one, as I think its def. THe future. Anything less is dreaming. I"ve seen people at frys DROOL over windows 8 with touch screens, an d if people like that, they def like wP8 ;). The indicator as well is ur above.

Itā€™s good to hear iOS is in development, but I think not caring about WP (market share #'s notwithstanding) is missing the target of eventual growth, especially given that article.

Cheers
nl

Well, weā€™re not excluding Windows phoneā€¦Itā€™s just that itā€™s not planned yet.
Also weā€™d need windows phones to testā€¦
So until it gets more popular I guess weā€™ll just standby on this.

@neighborlee said: Atm the ( not tracking the others) WPx market share is around 5.6% ( according to url) and growing gradually, indicating it may well take over iOS , if you believe :

http://blogs.computerworld.com/windows-phone/22336/acer-passes-windows-phone-complains-no-one-knows-about-it

I personally own a Wp7 device ( samsung flash) which I love, meaning Im so over androidā€™s tiny little icons.I love windows 8 ( which I have) for the same reason I love my Wp device. I love metro UI and if I could afford a touch monitor iā€™d already have one, as I think its def. THe future. Anything less is dreaming. I"ve seen people at frys DROOL over windows 8 with touch screens, an d if people like that, they def like wP8 ;). The indicator as well is ur above.

Itā€™s good to hear iOS is in development, but I think not caring about WP (market share #'s notwithstanding) is missing the target of eventual growth, especially given that article.

Cheers
nl

What @nehon saidā€¦ but you also have to take that article with a grain of salt. He says: ā€œshow itā€™s the fastest-growing smartphone operating system, with a 5.6% market share in April, up from 3.8% a year previous.ā€

But the article he links to says that iOS gained 2.3 percentage points while Windows only increased 1.8 percent (5.6 - 3.8)ā€¦ so for him to consider it the ā€œfastest growing phoneā€ he must be dividing. However, given that logic, my 7 year old daughter is going to be 50 feet high by the time sheā€™s 20. And thank goodness the age trend didnā€™t continue after that first year when she doubled in age. :wink:

Original article: Android Leads in the US, but iOS and Windows are Growing Faster - Global site - Kantar Worldpanel

Yes, it is significant that it almost doubled itā€™s market penetration in one year but the number was so small to begin with that itā€™s within the margin of error and normal market growth. Especially when nearly half the growth came from customers who were upgrading from a non-smart phone.

Anyway, rough market shares as of that article: (rounded down to the nearest percentage point)
iOS: *****************************************
Android: ***************************************************
Win: *****

But as @nehon says, weā€™re not specifically excluding itā€¦ but no one here has one of the phones or is interested in porting to it, personally. It would have to be an external effort.

I donā€™t know how good it is, but finding this I think going from jme > wp8 ā€˜couldā€™ be fairly doable ?

http://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/j2c/ , and maybe whatā€™s left that isnā€™t converted can be hand done without alot of stress.

No idea if this is worth looking into, but I found it searching given Iā€™m quite interested in supporting the platform, at least partially due to fact I own and enjoy
using my wp7 samsung device. My LG device is a pretty poor android so I supppose thatā€™s why I donā€™t use android alot atm, but in the future I hope that changes as I want to
be inclusive on mobile .

cheers
nl

Actually weā€™re using Avian to compile java to native ios.
I guess weā€™d go the same direction for W8ā€¦ too bad they donā€™t support javaā€¦