Mod JME

What are the rules for this? I read the license but I don't exactly understand the rules. I want to mod JME to include a number of features, including occlusion culling and portals, plus some functions for making it easier to do a few things. When I was using CrystalSpace, I had to release all mods to the community(although I never did). I, of course, will donate them to the community, but I just want to know the exact rules.

Ok. I, of course, will give it to the engine, no reason to keep it to myself.

You can use those “mods” by adding them as classes to your project.  Then, if you think they are worthy to be reviewed for inclusion in jME itself, submit them to the Contribution Depot forum.

As with most open-source projects you can of course make your own fork, if you want to change the direction.

According to the JMonkey project page the code is licensed under the New BSD License, which has its three important conditions (which I’ll try to translate):

• Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    If you redistribute the source, keep the copyright and license info in there.

• Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
    When you make your binary (jar file, class files, etc) include the copyright notice and license info in your docs (About, README, etc)

• Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
    Don't say you're using jME when promoting the product unless you have the OK from authors.

This really deals with distribution to the public and credit where credit is due, rather than having to give back code to jME if you modify it.  Oh, and IANAL so take this with a grain of salt.

Of course, the individually submitted source files could have different licenses (I haven't looked at a lot of them in a while), so it may take more searching for clarification.

Well, I didn't want to extend current classes, I actually wanted to change the LWJGL code and stuff to run faster wherever I could. I just think JME needs speed.

well if you find some parts who can be improved, i'm sure it will be patched in lwjgl itself if its useful and reasonable.

Core-Dump said:

well if you find some parts who can be improved, i'm sure it will be patched in lwjgl itself if its useful and reasonable.

You say it like someone else would do it. The point is, I want to do it. I know how to use LWJGL and the mix, and want to try it. I also wanted to add some to the engine, not patch it. There are few features which would be cool in JME that I have seen in other engines.

I think the idea is go ahead and do it. Then someone can just commit the changes.

But there's no requirement to give the changess back if you don't want to.