Movie rendering

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of rendering jME animations out as avi or quicktime movies. I have a requirement to do this for a project and so far haven't been able to find any solutions that don't involve large amounts of image caching.

This link should help, someone also had a really nice demo of a room with lots of TV's

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=2867

That is actually the other way - getting video into jME. What jarec is trying to do is to render jME to video.

jarec, have you considered using an external framegrabber such as fraps?

Unfortunately it is an integrated feature for a third party application for a client so using things like fraps is a no-no. Have looked briefly at quicktime Java but it looks a bit heavy for what we are developing and my requirements list also says avi as a required format.

Hello Jarec,

I believe this should be doable using JMF (Java Media Framework) and JME DisplaySystem ability to copy the framebuffer data to memory.

This won't work well if you want realtime video recording but I think it may suit your needs. Of course this needs to be investigated further.

Hope it helps.
jjmontes said:

I believe this should be doable using JMF (Java Media Framework) and JME DisplaySystem ability to copy the framebuffer data to memory.

Indeed, it may also be possible to double buffer this so that the writing to jmf is outside of the jme render cycle, this will keep the frame rate high and allow other processors to work.

Also consider the sampling size and quality if its an issue

jjmontes said:

Hello Jarec,

This won't work well if you want realtime video recording but I think it may suit your needs. Of course this needs to be investigated further.

Hope it helps.

Well volunteered  XD

Sorry i can’t help you because i am also facing this problem. I can’t understand what I do. If you get answer then please share it. I will be waiting for your response. And also try to find solution.

@rambof07 said:
Sorry i can't help you because i am also facing this problem. I can't understand what I do. If you get answer then please share it. I will be waiting for your response. And also try to find solution.

a) this is a three years old thread so isn't even really dealing with the same JME.

b) http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/javadoc/com/jme3/app/state/VideoRecorderAppState.html