Multi-part Character

Hey Guys,

For my game I want to have a Character that is made up of several “parts”. By parts, I mean a head, feet, legs, torso, and arms. How would I go about doing this? I am getting confused on how the animation for the body would translate in to the separate parts. Like how would Animation A with arms A translate over to ArmsB. There must be a way to do this. I am thinking that I would have a Node, then attach all the separate models to that node. But what concerns me is how the Animations will effect it, I mean would I have just one whole Skeletal system, or would I have to break up the skeleton.

Also while we are on this topic, I need an idea on how to differentiate between different types of shots, IE headshots, Arm Shots, LegShots, and so forth.

Thanks guys, sorry for bugging you guys so much.

just make all parts in one blender file assigned to one shared skeleton, then export. it work fine. to make it easier you can also spearate models only by materials (separate material for faces in blender = separate geometry in JME).

me and memonick just made it.

remember in blender for each part(if separated by separate objects, not materials): ctrl - a → apply location / scale / rotation.

Wait so would it work if lets say I had 4 different Pant types that I wanted the Player to be able to chose from. And lets say that they were different Meshs, this would work?

just make all parts in one blender file assigned to one shared skeleton, then export. it work fine.

Would I just make the 4 Different pants in Blender with the Same Skeleton, Like on different Layers or something, then export it one Layer at a time or is there something that I missed?

I am sorry for bugging you guys again.

Don’t worry - you’re not bugging us. I don’t know blender, but I think that my 3DS Max explanation can be applied.

Just position all the different pants in the same spot so that when you load different pants, they’d all be at the same position. Then, you can use the same skeleton. Just export each different pant.

I hope that helped :slight_smile:

exacly how memonick said.

same in blender. position all objects in places where they should be, and remember to apply data(ctrl – a → apply location / scale / rotation). and this objects need to have the same skeleton in blender to avoid issues.

then export via ogreMesh or blenderPlugin in SDK.

if you have all elements in one file, then you will need to split elements to many files by SceneComposer.

joining them, you can do in code easy, just put them all in one Node. then you move/rotate Node → you move/rotate all parts. Notice that if you put them in Node, then this items need to have same local position as after export from blender(becouse we want for example arm to be at arm location)