My first game with jmonkeyengine - R.a.f.A

R.a.f.A.
(Research atomic fuel alternatives?)

Trailer

I think that’s the best description of this game (it’s actually my dog’s name).

Rafa is a multiplayer video game, I was written with the help of this marvelous tool/api called jmonkeyengine.
I have a server on one side, and some multiple clients can connect to it.
The server is responsible for generating a solar system, manage connections and other general parameters, also also coordinate all the messages.

Each Rafa’s client controls an astronaut. This astronaut starts the game by appearing on a particular planet.

Now is fully single player, maybe in a future I will add multiplayer since it’s already there, but for now only singleplayer.
You control an astronaut, he starts the game by appearing on a particular planet.

The planets have two different types of fuel (blue and green) and are distributed randomly.
A single type of fuel is not very useful, it is required to accumulate both to give some use to it.
Fuel may be used to use a sort of railgun (sorry quake) and / or to power the astronaut jetpack.
So it is understood that an astronaut can freely explore the planet, dodging enemies and collecting score, and / or you can use the fuel acquired to try to travel to another planet.

I mean “try” because fuel is not abundant and may not be enough to reach another planet. As the solar system is dynamic one must be cautious and try to wait for the moment your planet and your destination get as close as possible.

Some technical features:

Automatically generated solar system, orbit's speed and day / night cycle are random.
 Planets are procedural - landscape is generated randomly.
 Paging system for rocks and grass.
22 Likes

So advanced. Much feature. Wow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What Normen said =D

1 Like
@normen said: So advanced. Much feature. Wow :)

Normen,

You don’t know how happy I’m right after I read your words =D

You see, share something that you were working a lot in the shadows, perhaps for me is a great game, but I didn’t know how people would react to it (so I was scared)

Thank you (and all the monkeys) for giving us such a great tool that could allow us to make our projects come to life.

Personally I’m proud of what you can achieve with JMonkey.
Obviously I had a lot of bugs that need to be fixed, but I will try to keep up and let you know guys the overall progress.

Just wait more news from me in this post…

1 Like

Sorry folks for putting this link here but this is getting serious:

http://igg.me/at/rafagame/x/8208782

help meee!

Keep it up! :smiley: It looks like a good exploration/adventure game concept, I like it.

1 Like

thanks for cheering me up Benjamin =D

Hi people,

I mention on the monthly wip thread that I was working on a game (luckily I found my older post)

So let me relive this post, I update the description and put a trailer…

Let me know your thoughts,

Regards,

Cristian Villalba

looking very slick mate, great work, looks like you have a working game =)

1 Like

great game~

1 Like

This is basically No man’s sky :slight_smile:
Congratulations!

1 Like

Thank you all people :smile:

and yes, I was coding this at the same time that No man’s sky appeared, all my friends told me: it is like your idea but bigger!..so I had to let my anger go away and keep coding.

I guess RafA is not that boring, I hope so…

Just to let you know,

Next steps will be final tweakings/ new trailer/uploading into some store. I think It will be steam (greenlight or the one that replaces it) or whatever.

More details about the game:

You can’t see this on the trailer but it has a story mode and time attack mode:

• In story mode you need to visit all planets to deveal a mystery and unlock the final stage.
  • In time attack you need to visit all planets as fast as you can.

Some special items spread all over the planets:

• One that changes the ray gun for bombs for 40 seconds.
  • One that gives you unlimited fuel for 40 seconds.
  • One that stops the planet orbiting for 40 seconds.
  • One that will appear at the top of some platforms, and will give you both fuels at once.

Those are the things that I will like to show on the new trailer.

Hopefully I will be finishing with it soon, so I will keep you on the loop

Regards

1 Like

The key to achieve that and where No man’s sky failed: multiplayer. Well, that is if you are having infinity things and no real story line, what seems to not be your case. Anyway, a multiplayer mode would be great, even if it is just a battle-arena mode where you can jump between a limited amount of planets while killing with strange weapons xD.

1 Like

Heheh… “This is a really nice chair… one thing that would make it more exciting is if it could fly.”

About the closest equivalent thing I could think of to turning a single player game into a multiplayer game. (Flashback to all of those ‘experts’ who said it would only take No Man’s Sky dev’s “one week tops” to add multiplayer… lol.)

O.O xD that would mean a pre-idea of having multiplayer and a “really well” coded stuff. I don’t see it that crazy to have in this game a multiplayer mode, it would be just funny to play (never talked about the needed work). About No Man’s Sky it should be just infinite times better with a multiplayer (saying, however, that it would take one week is just ignorance about the matter).

Well… why not? :stuck_out_tongue:

The key to achieve that and where No man’s sky failed: multiplayer. Well, that is if you are having infinity things and no real story line, what seems to not be your case. Anyway, a multiplayer mode would be great, even if it is just a battle-arena mode where you can jump between a limited amount of planets while killing with strange weapons xD.

Great feedback,
Indeed if someday I want to add multiplayer I think I have an advantage: I started coding thinking it will be pure multiplayer, and then turned back to focus only on the singleplayer mode.
What I mean is that the code is already there, just commented.

Here is one of my early videos demonstrating multiplayer:

I disable it because it gets boring if there are few players, then I thought a racing mode, in which all players started in a planet and the first that visit all planets wins a round, but it’s just an idea (is it a good one?)

Anyway, I think I still need to think a fun idea of multiplayer mode with this game.

1 Like

( paranoia mode on )

If they really did plan it at all from the beginning :expressionless:

1 Like

Sorry guys that I’m giving a new life to this old thread.

I’m planing to release my game soon on Steam - Early access.

Any help will be really appreciated.
If you want some keys to play with just ask me.

Steam page - I will post it here when Steam approve the app.

New trailer here:

12 Likes

Sweet! Good luck! :smile:

1 Like