Mythruna and Diegetic User Interfaces

Read an interesting article a while back on diegetic user interfaces:
http://www.thewanderlust.net/blog/2010/03/29/user-interface-design-in-video-games/

At the time, I’d already started redoing Mythruna’s user interface and didn’t even know what the style was called. So now it was nice to have a name.

It fits my vision of a minimal in-game UI very well and was a strong motivation for forging my own UI path.

Here is a video of it in action… (also my new far-horizon and colored lighting but that’s a separate thing :))
[video]http://youtu.be/LhLWZW-ZeZw[/video]

6 Likes

Aw man this is incredibly awesome. The amount of stuff you’re hitting the watcher with is overwhelming, cant believe i payd 15 bucks for my brother’s minecraft and the guys there hardly shows any progress.

It looks awesome man, dont really know what to say more, speechless. And coming from me thats big, since i hate the kind of genre.

@Setekh said: Aw man this is incredibly awesome. The amount of stuff you're hitting the watcher with is overwhelming, cant believe i payd 15 bucks for my brother's minecraft and the guys there hardly shows any progress.

It looks awesome man, dont really know what to say more, speechless. And coming from me thats big, since i hate the kind of genre.

Heheh. Thanks… I think. :slight_smile:

I like your UI a lot, looks really unique and suits the game perfect! I also like your “far horizion” option, it really makes a huge visual difference (for the better) =) I’m impressed by your work.

I really like the idea with the books. Making your story and stuff, really epic.

looks like that dump I took last night :slight_smile: good job

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/the-ive-been-offended-by-wezrule-but-still-love-him-anyway-thread/#post-22291

In his defense, I guess he does have some pretty impressive dumps. :wink:

2 Likes

This is really awesome stuff!

Following up to my own post… technically not diegetic but it looks similar… some prototyping of a radial selector: Many of Mythruna’s in-game GUIs will be similar to this half-diegetic style.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLt6-80LMZo[/video]

1 Like

Looks really nice :slight_smile:

Very nice

And finally… integrated in game. (Felt like it was worthy of a follow-up over the crappy version above. ;))

4 Likes

Looks really nice! =)
One idea for the selector thingy might be to show the block in place of the build cursor, like “this is how it would look like if you build the block right here” instead of the preview floating around over everything. Maybe use transparency or some wireframe.

superb!!! just that bubble as crosshair looks quite odd :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The bubble is probably just something that can be replaced as intended. It looks a bit annoying in that it’s obscuring a lot of area, but if you want to simulate that it’s harder to target faraway stuff, that would be exactly what one wants.

I’m a bit sceptical about the selection menu. A deeply nested hierarchy with hidden subchoices makes it harder to navigate quickly.
Though I’ll concede every day that making selections gets surprisingly hard as the number of choices goes up. It’s possible that one can’t do better.

@toolforger said: The bubble is probably just something that can be replaced as intended. It looks a bit annoying in that it's obscuring a lot of area, but if you want to simulate that it's harder to target faraway stuff, that would be exactly what one wants.

The bubble actually obscures less than the old cross did… it’s just visually it looks a bit larger but now you can see completely through most of it. It can also be increased in size to “lasso” points of interest, etc… Or expand it into a capsule to show a name. Also eventually the border of the bubble will be used to indicate different effects whether temperature, magic detection, whatever.

It also has another side effect in that with the cross-shaped crosshair you think “pixel level clicking” which doesn’t always work for a variety of reasons but with the bubble you have to center it more over what you are pointing at.

@toolforger said: I'm a bit sceptical about the selection menu. A deeply nested hierarchy with hidden subchoices makes it harder to navigate quickly. Though I'll concede every day that making selections gets surprisingly hard as the number of choices goes up. It's possible that one can't do better.

There are over 400 block types now and climbing. Yet with the menu I’m able to get it to the point where nothing is ever more than a few clicks away. I think the deepest menu is four levels but most of the complicated block sets are not more than three deep. And each level (except flora) has no more than four or five branches at any level.

The tree also lets me eventually eliminate certain subbranches based on tools or skills acquired.

Anyway, this particular wand is probably just for “creative mode”. “Real game” building will probably be a bit different as I may require full blocks to be placed and then “carved away” to make other shapes.