Mythruna's New Trees

I made a video comparing the old trees to the new ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jFyAFQ1RyI

2 Likes

Looks cool.

Very nice change I must say :smiley:

Good job!

They look great Paul! A definite improvement :slight_smile: I still just travel around to look at them and the random landscape lol.

Me too. I’ve probably snapped nearly 100 screen shots just walking around oohing and ahing. :slight_smile:

The huge continent far north east of spawn (it is easily 1 full square kilometer in size) has some really breathtaking valleys and vistas at 192 clip.

pspeed said:

The huge continent far north east of spawn (it is easily 1 full square kilometer in size) has some really breathtaking valleys and vistas at 192 clip.

I will remember to check that out. Do you have a rough idea when weather will be implemented? or is that farther down the road?

When minecraft added it then it moved to the back of my list… but now that we have trees I keep thinking back to it.

I will need to create a wind model soon, at least. I want the trees to blow more realistically than the grass (I tried it and it half the time looks nice and half looks totally bonkers)… and properly done, that is the initial steps to localized weather.

1 Like

Cool, would it be permanent climate specific biomes or actual seasonal weather patterns? If the engine can handle it, seasons would be awesome!

Yes. I want to have climates specific to location and also seasons.

The reason I changed the trees was to support seasons. The old trees could not have changed with seasons. The new ones already have the slots built into their leaf texture atlas for three more seasons. Not exactly sure what I will do about winter but the current one is summer.

And for the record, the current plan is for game weeks to be seven days long, game months to be four weeks long, and game years to be four months long… so one month per season.

At 1 minute = 1 hour… which is 10 game days per day… a season would last almost 3 days in real life. A year lasts 11.2 real life days.

I think that makes them quick enough to not have to wait forever to see the season you want while being long enough that seasons actually matter… and because it’s changed up, it won’t be winter every Monday or whatever. Players who can only login certain days of the week because they have a life (who would that be?) would still see different seasons.

1 Like

Excellent :slight_smile: winter could be just branches right? That will be amazing, leaves turning color for autumn and spring :slight_smile:

The “just branches” are kind of tricky when you are talking about a leaf block. I’m hoping I can get away with rendering a patch of twigs.

pspeed said:
The "just branches" are kind of tricky when you are talking about a leaf block. I'm hoping I can get away with rendering a patch of twigs.

Yeah I see what you're saying now. Maybe a snow on leaf texture somehow? or just make the leaves white?

Yeah, or clumps of snow and twigs. Something will come to me. The rest will be too good to pass up for one season’s oddness. :slight_smile:

pspeed said:
The rest will be too good to pass up for one season's oddness. :)

Agreed :)