Need advice – changing server app

Hello,

i want to change old MMOG server(not Java) to java ones, that could manage NPC to walk the shortest path.

actually NPC dont know if there is barricade or not. yes. it can be done and it is done by Map of blockades, buts its ugly solution.

plase, give me advice about Java Server, SpiderMonkey or not, that would be able to handle thousands of messages per second and pathfinding for NPC of existing scenes. I just never played with SpiderMonkey and i dont know if anyone use better solution

and how it should look like? same scenes in client assets and server assets?

i also need to know how many memory / CPU it take, how many messages per second it can handle(on average server).

we have 30Mb Metro Ethernet symetric with ip class and BGP4

as you know, such decisions is a critical moment, that is why i write this topic

Thanks for help

The network API you use doesn’t really have anything to do with pathfinding.

On my machine, using local loop-back, SpiderMonkey can handle about 38000 messages per second. That’s just running a simple throughput test.

I guess a lot of it will depend on the architecture of your game and how big the “Massive” is in your “Massively Multiplayer” game. For example, SpiderMonkey provides no facility for moving player connections around within a server farm… though that’s not hard for you to layer on top of the API depending on the architecture of your game.

1 Like

thank you for reply and sorry for my later reply

Need to have pathfinding for NPC.

There is idea to do shared class for SpiderMonkey / Server app and Client, so player could be moved by Client app and NPC would be managed by Server. Players / NPC positions are stored in database, positions are planned to be updated rarely, otherwise game will need only few messages / second.

I was thinking about running JME3 app on Server Side to manage pathfinding for NPC. and i dont know if i could do it within SpiderMonkey

is SpiderMonkey using JME3 libraries or it is only to manage messages? Is it possible to do such app in SpiderMonkey to calculate pathfinding for same assets as Client have, knowing bounding of elements?

so is it possible to do within SpiderMonkey or it need separate app?

SpiderMonkey is a networking API. You can use it in whatever type of app you want. You can run a headless server or a server with a GUI. SpiderMonkey is about passing messages and keeping track of connections.

…so I’m not sure I understand the question.

I think if you looked at the examples or read the wiki pages it might make things clearer. The most complete simple example might be the TestChatClient and TestChatServer.

1 Like
SpiderMonkey is a networking API. You can use it in whatever type of app you want. You can run a headless server or a server with a GUI. SpiderMonkey is about passing messages and keeping track of connections.

this sentence is enough for me, thanks :)

i will look into wiki pages and start creating it as soon as possible