Netbeans 6.1 and JME 1.0

Hi, I'm new to this engine and fairly new to Java programming. In the getting started guide, there are the 2 tutorials for netbeans. Since I'm new and the

tutorial for netbeans 6.1 and JME.1.0 is not finished should I just use the Netbeans 5.5 with the old JME?  :frowning:

I don't want to be missing any valuable features if I have to use the old engine  :?

I have looked for a similar problem throughout the forums, with little success. One person was told to make sure to not have any spaaces, I redid the whole

build process with a new file names but the error continues!!! :-o

Well, depending on your confidence with NetBeans it's your choice.  But no matter what IDE, you should use jME 1.0. :slight_smile:

You should have no problems using the 5.5 tutorial for 6.1… they are almost the same, except for some bug fixes and improvements.

Okay thanks, but now when I try to download netbeans they give me about 6 different options of packs. I'm thinking i should use the web and Java or

just the Java SE. Also, do i just follow the Setting up NetBeans 5.0 to build jME and jME-Physics 2 or do i have to do something before that?

I have now built the JME engine but It does not seem to work with the physics 2. I did all the step but I get exactly 100 errors

There shouldn't be any errors. Re-read the tutorial, make sure you followed all steps.

If it's still not working, post the errors here.

Its when I get to this step

go to the menue-bar: Window → Projects

rightclick on jME-Physics_2: Clean and Build Project (the output must end with

jME Physics can't find the main jME engine classes, you might have to 'add' the jme library to the jme-physics project, though I am not sure if it's possible. Maybe you forgot to compile the main jME project?

I think Momoko_fan is right, jME itself needs to be compiled and used by jME-physics.  Make sure some of the test cases (jME) run before continuing on to physics.

Hmm, I deleted the whole project and tried to start from scratch, with a little sucess. The error count is now down to 15 and there are only 2 folders on the side

which have ! on them, they are

! C/Users/Desktop/CVSPhysics/jmephysics/test-interactive

! C/Users/Desktop/CVSPhysics/jmephysics/impl/ode/src

This is good I think, becasue before all the folders had the “!” on them but now its only two. Here are the error reports…With only 15 error!!!  :smiley:

Created dir: C:UsersStuDesktopCVSPhysicsjmephysicsprojectjME-Physics_2buildclasses

Compiling 137 source files to C:UsersStuDesktopCVSPhysicsjmephysicsprojectjME-Physics_2buildclasses

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestTestChooser.java:114: package org.lwjgl does not exist

import org.lwjgl.Sys;

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestrendererTestPQTorus.java:37: package org.lwjgl.input does not exist

import org.lwjgl.input.Keyboard;

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestTestChooser.java:448: cannot find symbol

symbol  : class Sys

Sys.class.getName(); // to check loading lwjgl library

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestrendererTestPQTorus.java:87: cannot find symbol

symbol  : variable Keyboard

if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_P)) {

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestrendererTestPQTorus.java:87: cannot find symbol

if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_P)) {

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestrendererTestPQTorus.java:88: cannot find symbol

if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_LSHIFT) ||

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestrendererTestPQTorus.java:88: cannot find symbol

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestrendererTestPQTorus.java:89: cannot find symbol

Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_RSHIFT))

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestrendererTestPQTorus.java:89: cannot find symbol

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestrendererTestPQTorus.java:95: cannot find symbol

if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_Q)) {

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestrendererTestPQTorus.java:95: cannot find symbol

if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_Q)) {

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestrendererTestPQTorus.java:96: cannot find symbol

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestrendererTestPQTorus.java:96: cannot find symbol

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestrendererTestPQTorus.java:97: cannot find symbol

C:UsersStuDesktopCVSjmesrcjmetestrendererTestPQTorus.java:97: cannot find symbol

Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.

Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.

15 errors

BUILD FAILED (total time: 2 seconds)

Oh, and all the test cases work in the jME

Now the LWJGL library is missing from jME-physics, I think the issue here is that you're trying to compile jME physics 2.0 while the tutorial only explains how to compile 1.0.

Hmm… but the tutorials name is Setting up NetBeans to build jME and jME-Physics 2

Zippy,

I had to try to get everything ironed out, on my NetBeans install, about 6 times.  My suggestion would be to very, very carefully read the tutorial and very, very carefully follow.  There is a bit of information there and it is very easy to miss a step (most are crucial steps too).

Good Luck. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all of your help, but I have decided to give up with the jME. I thought I knew more then i actually did about programming,

so it is extremely hard and complicated for me. Maybe ill learn more, or try a different engine :expressionless: Thanks for all of your help! :smiley:

Zippy,

I know what you mean, most of the people around here would definetly state that a solid background in programming is the first requirment.

No worries though!  Maybe you should check out MonkeyWorld 3D (GUI game builder based on jME) or Blender (modeling progam which has an integrated game engine).

Good Luck :slight_smile: