NetBeans or Eclipse?

sfera said:

@mr coder: i admire your willpower :) i see you are talking about IDEA like about your most precious treasure and you're still willing to give eclipse a try. a real teamplayer ;)

thanks sfera, got a bit more fuel to get me on the way ;)

So basically (apart from the GUI editor, but I honestly don't care about that) it can't do anything EclipseMe can't, except I have to install it (update site), and download Proguard (a jar file).

Considering all the different SDKs (and different versions of these) I have to install for every different device anyway, that's not really a big difference then.

That sounds more or less correct, yes. Eclipse and NetBeans are more or less identical when they are customized to your own personal needs. They also have the exact same main disadvantage (they are both painfully slow occassionally). However, NetBeans has more functionality out of the box, requires you to edit your Ant-scripts less and in general requires less work. Since the reason I use an IDE is that it requires me to do less work, I'd say that, and the fact that there are virtually no other differences, makes NetBeans the winner.

Eclipse's incrementel compiler (and the ways in which it enhances other features such as hot code replace) still sets it apart from other IDEs. By that I mean, it's certainly still a really distinguising feature. Wether you or I use/like it or not, there's other people that will. Like for a while the Netbeans build in profiler used to be (at least if you didn't feel like paying for a profiler), or IDEA's refactoring. Like Eclipse users, I'm sure the IDEA users today (and maybe even the Netbeans users too ;)) can still think of features that set their IDE apart from the others, regardless of how many plugins you can find for the other 2.

So I wouldn't say at all Eclipse/Netbeans/IDEA are more or less identical… but it's a fact the competion between those 3 gave all of us here a better IDE. And I'd dare say that is most true for netbeans users (that used to be one sad excuse for an IDE, even JBuilder was better than that…)

I'm an Eclipse user, and I messed around with NetBeans a month or so ago because I downloaded a source project that was set up for it.  Yeah, the lack of incremental compilation is quite a glaring hole, but the main productivity issue I had is the loss of the "Run" button with its dropdown of run configurations that you've set up.  In NetBeans, there is a "Run File" option, but it was always greyed out.  I had to manually change the project's main entry point and run the project if I wanted to run from a different main(), and if I needed to have different commandline parameters passed in, I didn't see how I could save those independently.  Does NetBeans have an Eclipse-equivalent of easily running different configurations of the same project?  Plus, it doesn't show errors/warnings in the project source tree, which is really handy in Eclipse.

llama: Agreed. The incremental compiler in Eclipse is pretty nice, but Ant handles that in NetBeans instead so I don't notice any major differences in practice. However, of course you are right. Obviously there are differences between the different IDE:s, but to me, they are small enough to be more matters of taste than of anything else.

White_Flame: The "Run file" command is not greyed out for me and also has the hotkey Shift-F6. I have no idea why it was grayed out for you I'm afraid. Other than that, the solution to your problem that pops into my head first is to add an extra target in the Ant-script, which is then easily started in NetBeans. Pretty much everything that has to do with compiling/running is done with Ant in NetBeans.

@marqx: there is a big difference between using ant to compile and just save your code file in order to have it compiled (imho).

and i have to agree with llama when he says that this unofficial competion between the IDEs is the best we could wish as it makes the IDEs just get better and better.

@White_Flame:  Yes You can set up NetBeans to run every Main Class (its should be explained in the wiki i hope)

Normally NetBeans does this for You except You have imported a project with existing ant build script (then You have to set it up manually in the project xml files)

If You import it as project with existing sources then netbeans builds jme into a single big jar by default but You should be able to run single main classes.

As for incremental build … i've never missed it thus far as NB compiles automatically the classes needed when i run a main class from

the popup.