New Board "Projects"

Hi, it's a good idea to added this board, maybe one day I will have my project on it :slight_smile:

Maybe it will be interesting to add the same "Overview: Current projects" on the wiki, for people who doesn't read the forum and to show jME activities ?

Is it even possible to have Subboards for certain project under the projectsboard?

It is.

well thats fine.. so i guess we as moderators should eighter be informed by the project leaders or decide on our own when a project gets too big and there is the need for a subforum.
irrisor said:

Momoko_Fan said:

Not trying to be pushy or anything, but I think it's a bit too many threads at this point for the "jME game" at the projects forum. I suggest requiring there to be only one thread for each project and no more.

I don't agree. It was one purpose of that board to discuss the projects. Getting an overview was another one. And I don't think they hinder each other.

I see, I guess I misunderstood the purpose of this forum then (was thinking more towards GDNet's project forum). Still I think that specifically for the jME game community project, it would be nice to have their project get more recognition and organization by having their own forum on the jME site (maybe even on a subdomain like game.jmonkeyengine.com). They are not alike any other game using jME after all.

in principle each project here is equal, and i dont think, that some reader will browse all the posts to get an idea of what projects are available. Therefore we have the sticky overview post. Activity of projects can then be easily monitored. When there is no post for a certain project on the first few pages, then it can be considered inactive.

When we moderators notice such a project, at first we can flag that project as inactive, and if nobody complains, we'll move this project into the archive.

Vardamir said:

in principle each project here is equal, and i dont think, that some reader will browse all the posts to get an idea of what projects are available. Therefore we have the sticky overview post. Activity of projects can then be easily monitored. When there is no post for a certain project on the first few pages, then it can be considered inactive.
When we moderators notice such a project, at first we can flag that project as inactive, and if nobody complains, we'll move this project into the archive.

I don't think that no posts on the first few pages would be a good measure to determine if a project is active or not.  Take, for example, the case where a project is being undertaken with jME and they want to be listed here but they talk about their development stuff elsewhere in a less or non open-source way.  Those projects should be listed here as well as they also help to support and advance jME if even they don't chatter here about it -- except when updating their project or showcase thread when milestones have been achieved.

i guess time and experiance have to show how it works to keep the information up to date.

Of course jme related projects, which are discussed elsewhere, should have the chance to be shown here. Even if they are not open-source (in my opinion). Therefore the projectleaders should just contact us, and we will add the given information to the overview thread. Including e.g. an link to an external hompage or forum.

So if someone is interested in the newest stuff of a certain external project, he might just visit the homepage.

And if the members and leaders are actively discussing their project here,… fine. So we do see how active this project is.

And of course it would be nice if every project that reaches a certain size could get its own subforum. But thinking about this, i dunno if therefore the engine hompage is the right place. Its definately ok for a communityproject as the jmeGame to have its own subforum, but for any private project?

Maybe if there are 5-10 people working on, and time has shown that they are active developing.

But first of all some projects have to grow that big  :wink: }:-@

hopefully they will