Nifty GUI: Creating a hint effect through Java Builders

I’m creating an inventory screen for my game. I’m using Java builders to build the grid section of the screen that consist of droppable controls. I’m trying to - for testing purposes - add a hover effect when creating these controls that will display a hint message. All resources I’ve found online use XML to create the effects, but I need to find a way to create these effects dynamically. I’ve noticed the onHoverEffect() method in the builder, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to add a hint effect to it. Could someone please explain how this can be done?

page 90 of this file I believe.

While this will undoubtedly prove useful, I’m not currently looking on how to start effects, but how to create them through the Java builders.

I need to find a way to create them in Java because they hints need to be dynamic; the hints will be the name of the item you hover over in your inventory. As far as I can tell, you can only create constant effects in XML.

Well the bible file I pointed you to has all documentation on everything. If it’s not in there, I doubt it will be anywhere, though the guy that made nifty does frequent these forums, and usually responds if you summon him.

[java]
onHoverEffect(new HoverEffectBuilder(“hint”){{
getAttributes().setAttribute(“hintText”, “Here is a hint!”);
}});
[/java]

That is how I set it in my game. All the other hover effects follow a similar format.

2 Likes
@glh3586 said: [java] onHoverEffect(new HoverEffectBuilder("hint"){{ getAttributes().setAttribute("hintText", "Here is a hint!"); }}); [/java]

That is how I set it in my game. All the other hover effects follow a similar format.

I see! I should be able to use this as well, thank you!

As for the Nifty Bible, I’ve been meaning to take a look at it but I haven’t had much time. I’ve been trying to get the information I need through the wiki and Google, but it sounds like the book as a lot more than what I can find.