Nimbus Look and Feel for SettingsDialog

I wanted to apply the Nimbus Look and Feel to the SettingsDialog so I added the following to my main method…

[java]

try {

for (LookAndFeelInfo info : UIManager.getInstalledLookAndFeels()) {

if ("Nimbus".equals(info.getName())) {

UIManager.setLookAndFeel(info.getClassName());

break;

}

}

} catch (Exception e) { }

[/java]

Nothing Happened!!!

I actually expected this to work seeing that the SettingsDialog uses AWT.

Is there something I am missing?

[java]} catch (Exception e) { }[/java]

why you do nothing with exception? maybe it would show something.

I looked into the source for SettingsDialog class and see that the UIManager is set to System Look and Feel.

That’s what I get for not doing my home work

[java]

private void createUI() {

try {

UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());

} catch (Exception e) {

logger.warning(“Could not set native look and feel.”);

}

[/java]

I was just thinking about…

@normen said:
I answered in the other thread. Great project btw! The SDK screenshot shows so much how much its about the assets when people say how "powerful" engines are. Just have some screens like that and nobody cares what the tools actually do and how hard it is to code the engine ;)

Maybe jMonkey would get more graphics people if the JMP and engine was prettier?
and Nimbus is pretty

Sorry about the pointless thread
:D
1 Like

Can’t say I disagree with this.

The SDK looks fine, and maybe, just maybe, giving it a “new look” could help. Maybe it looks too “normal”. Either way, I’m not really concerned with that. For me, the most important part is that it has to work.

You can easily use nimbus or any java LAF with the SDK, just use the --laf command line switch (see SDK troubleshooting section).

@normen said:
You can easily use nimbus or any java LAF with the SDK, just use the --laf command line switch (see SDK troubleshooting section).

I understand that and have tested this i was thinking default LAF.
@skidrunner said:
I understand that and have tested this i was thinking default LAF.

Hm, idk.. Except for Linux the system LAFs always look best imo. If you can find one that emulates swt though, I'd love to have that for a certain prank I have in mind ;)
1 Like
@normen said:
Hm, idk.. Except for Linux the system LAFs always look best imo. If you can find one that emulates swt though, I'd love to have that for a certain prank I have in mind ;)

I also prefer system LAF. Personally, I think nimbus is really ugly... which just shows how subjective the whole thing is. For whatever reason, I prefer consistent user interfaces when I use a platform. So one app with bubbly cartoon windows in the middle of my others doesn't really appeal to me.
1 Like

@pspeed

@normen

Well then how about jTattoo that would allow the JMP to have themes. I am just saying that most 3D platforms have a different look from standard application to appeal to the artists may be jMonkey would attract more than programmers if it looked like a Graphical Platform.

“Just a thought”

EDIT:
I mean look at all Autodesk crap

Yeh I tried a lot of them, didn’t like any, especially in comparison to vanilla OSX Aqua :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe there could be a setup wizard where you can choose a LAF, idk…

@skidrunner said:
I looked into the source for SettingsDialog class and see that the UIManager is set to System Look and Feel.

Since you brought it up, I wonder why it does that. If I want to use Napking LAF or anything else those lines only makes it harder and if I (as app developer) don't set any LAF it is unnecessary code.

Personally I'd rather not have users download a 3'd party LAF just to juice up the settings dialog but it depends on the application I guess.

Well unfortunalty swt is currently mostly the only way to go if it should fell like natural look and feel.

@jmaasing said:
Since you brought it up, I wonder why it does that. If I want to use Napking LAF or anything else those lines only makes it harder and if I (as app developer) don't set any LAF it is unnecessary code.

Personally I'd rather not have users download a 3'd party LAF just to juice up the settings dialog but it depends on the application I guess.

The default settings dialog is incredibly restrictive. It hard codes the settings for windowed mode. It provides no way of removing resolutions you don't want, it's "branding" is limited to a big splash image, etc..

I've thought about fixing the resolutions thing few times but every time I look into I think that this dialog was not really designed for customization and most games that cared to do so would just roll their own. It's high on my to-do list to fix this for Mythruna and I may contribute back a more flexible, extensible version.

In the mean time, it might be better to consider the default settings dialog as just a super convenient helper stepping stone that tries to be as unobtrusive as possible... by trying to look like the rest of windows on your system.

Yeeh, I’ve been thinking exactly the same thing as you @pspeed. I looked at customizing the settings, found it incredibly restrictive…doing something better has been floating around on my todo list for a while but it’s just not a priority.

Really there should be a way to extend the settings window with your own - then you could do whatever you wanted with it. I’m actually reasonably happy with the functionality it provides… I just wanted to be able to change the list of screen resolutions, maybe tweak the look and feel a bit, etc.

@zarch said:
Yeeh, I've been thinking exactly the same thing as you @pspeed. I looked at customizing the settings, found it incredibly restrictive...doing something better has been floating around on my todo list for a while but it's just not a priority.

Really there should be a way to extend the settings window with your own - then you could do whatever you wanted with it. I'm actually reasonably happy with the functionality it provides.. I just wanted to be able to change the list of screen resolutions, maybe tweak the look and feel a bit, etc.

Exactly. Also not a high priority for me except for all of the users who set things to weird non-functional settings and then report the bugs. I'll do something about it someday... maybe create a more extensible version and commit it back.