Noob Question - using terrains

Hi,

I have a project relating with the terrains. I wonder about if I can use terrain data such as height map, the normals of the primitives such as triangles or squares.

I assume that the terrain is generated by using triangles or squares. I had a look at the source code and saw that there are several terrain generation algorithms are implemented in jME.

I just need some data about the terrain and an interface of the related terrain. I guess the interface is ok by using jME I can handle a GUI. But I need to write terrain specific data to database and use them for other purposes.

Can jME handle this?

roguzsel said:

I wonder about if I can use terrain data such as height map

Yes, TerrainBlock takes an int[] of heightmap values and generates the appropriate geometry out of triangles with shared vertices.

roguzsel said:

the normals of the primitives such as triangles or squares.

Normals are generated by TerrainBlock. You can access and manipulate the buffers for anything that describes geometry in jME.

roguzsel said:

But I need to write terrain specific data to database and use them for other purposes.

Naturally jME won't help you in communicating to your database. But as I said above, you can access all data describing your geometry in jME. Basically, that's one of the major points jME is about :)

Oh thank you for care, I was personally thinking of setting a database connection without the help of jME anyways.