(November 2023) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

Got a work in progress?
Our monkeys love screenshots and video captures.
Win hearts! Post them here!!

7 Likes

I’ve been working on a game inspired by WiiPlay tanks “minigame.” I’m placing an emphasis on graphics quality for this project, and I believe I’ve mostly succeeded on that so far. Still a lot of work to be done in that area.

Me (blue tank) exploding in the middle there after getting hit with a bullet.

Right now I’m recoding the core engine of the game, since I became frustrated with critical ecs blunders. I’m almost back up to speed, I just need to work up enough courage to dive into AI behaviors. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

17 Likes

Finally, I managed to implement some grass.
Day:

Night:

14 Likes

Yes, I model. :sunglasses: Architectural modeling that is.

7 Likes

Continue with the fighting game. I wonder how hard/easy it is to implement such game in Unity/UE/Godot… the state machine here is quite complex - some player mechanics like grab-throw or double leg attack requires switching on/off state & game logic. Animation cancelling can also be complex because in most times you need to cancel not only a given animation but also an entire block of logic and this leads to complex scenarios.
regarding physics - I’m starting to think that character control is not helping much and adds a lot of trouble so probably in future optimizations it will be removed.
Last concern - performance. The scripting language is slower than Java so every feature added must be as efficient as possible
Overall - it’s real fun to code & play :slight_smile:
In the clip attached you can see the beginning of a double leg attack mechanic and a small box attached to the player’s “Head” joint for easier collision detection when something falls on his head.

14 Likes

Looks like a lot of fun.

I spend my Sunday in the company of a herd of mammoths. And there are soms sheep out there as well. Currently not doing much, but that will soon change.

9 Likes

GIF
In the past 2 weeks, I have experimented with global dynamic diffuse global illumination, and have achieved some results so far. Unlike the LightProbeVolume I mentioned earlier, this is another global illumination technique, belonging to real-time + dynamic global diffuse illumination (no precomputation needed). The GIF has stripes due to 1M compression, the actual effect does not have these stripes.

30 Likes

yyds

2 Likes

A test in PBR, as shown below, contains the effect of old LightProbe (SkyLight in other engines) + dynamic diffuse global illumination(There are still many areas that need experimentation: Contact shadows (not SSAO, another effect), PRT (Precomputed Radiance Transfer), Specular GI (SSGI)):

PBR+ShadowIntensity 0.9(disable old LightProbe):

PBR+ShadowIntensity 0.9(enable old LightProbe):

PBR+ShadowIntensity 0.9(enable old LightProbe)+DynamicDiffuseGI:

PBR+ShadowIntensity 0.9(enable old LightProbe):

PBR+ShadowIntensity 0.9(disable old LightProbe)+DynamicDiffuseGI:

PBR+ShadowIntensity 0.9(disable old LightProbe)+DynamicDiffuseGI:

visualize probe:

21 Likes

Alright, when organizing the folders, I came across a GPU grass code I wrote 3 years ago. The grass is generated and animated in geometry shaders. It seems to be the rendering technique used in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (not 100% sure, but it looks similar). The idea came from:

20 Likes

I am working on a Serial-based Human Interface Device API on top of Serial4j, the API is primarily based on the usb.org-hid-2001-specification document.

The basic idea entails assembly of data on the microcontroller side (DCE/modem), and sending dataframes composed of 8-bits per frame via serial USB, dataframes can then be re-assembled on the DTE side (Data terminal equipment, My PC in this case), and decoded into useful values.

Assembling and disassembling dataframes can be manipulated through different ways, the best one is the bit manipulation, there are other alternative slower solutions, as String manipulation.

In this example, I just ported my own dirty old example to use a DataFrameDevice that utilizes the String manipulation method.

This example is not new in terms of functionality, but it now operates on the new HID abstraction, new devices could be implemented currently by extending the interfaces provided, however, I have plans to use an ECS architecture to enable composing the devices easily with just some static electronic components. The idea still revolves around those two parts, the part where the data should be assembled from all parts of the device and encoded to be sent (modem side), and the part where dataframes should be re-assembled back and decoded into meaningful values, and this is how other standard human-interface-devices work in general, each HID class has a standard of descriptors.

In most cases, HIDs are full-duplex devices, data could be extracted from a device component by sending an address command, and then poll reading the output report.

This is a video for demonstration of a DataFrameDevice:

This is the prototype circuit operating in the video (ATMega328p mounted on an Arduino Nano board with CH340 usb-serial to TTL converter, 16MHZ crystal for clock control and a 5V LM7805 regulator):

The API and the example code are available on Serial4j (package: serial4j.core.hid):

9 Likes

Finally, done with the text adventure game “Pyramid 2000” a conversion from TRS-80.

Finished the game, missed a couple of things so I didn’t get a perfect score.

My score.

10 Likes

How charming!

Its mainly a test application and nothing more. When I try a test, I try and create something out of it. Like Crossy Road Arcade version, Time Pilot, Wolfstein.

All those help me with my huge project Alternate Reality another 80s remake from Atari 8-bit.

2 Likes

Making my game studio. Currently, I’m making skills about monsters. The models are downloaded from Mixamo.

7 Likes

@FoxCC
The edits seem to me to be in engine. Did you write an editor for JME from scratch or are you using a program?

3 Likes

:star2:Live Event::star2: Meet the talent behind the game Leap and play!

Monday Nov 13th 2023 at 6:30PM.
53 Bridge St Brooklyn, NY
Suite 301

2 Likes

@capdevon
That also is what I want to know

I was writing the game and the editor at the same time.
I’m writing my own editor using JME with Swing as the UI.
The editor isn’t finished yet, but I’m now ready to test my editor while writing the game.

10 Likes