OBJ model format

I have a model exported from Max 4 using the OBJ plugin and it contains some strange texture vertex data that is causing the ObjToJme converter to freak out:

vt  -1.$ 0.0 0.0
vt  0.7 1.0 1.0
vt  0.7 0.0 1.0
vt  0.0 0.0 0.0
vt  0.0 0.0 0.0
vt  0.6 1.0 1.0
vt  0.6 0.0 1.0
vt  0.0 0.0 0.0
vt  0.0 0.0 0.0
vt  0.6 1.0 1.0
vt  0.6 0.0 1.0
vt  0.0 0.0 0.0
vt  -1.$ 0.0 0.0
vt  0.5 1.0 1.0

Specifically the -1.$ values which seem pretty wacky. Has anyone seen this? The bit of documentation I've been able to find on the OBJ format makes no indication that anything other than nice floating point values should exist so maybe this is a bug in the Max exporter plugin.

Even in max7, there are still bugs in the obj exporter! I have to manually remove the "g" tags that dont have a material after them using notepad :?

the XSI obj exporter is even worse! it has its own implementation of what obj should be like!

Shame on all modeler exporters! 8-O

DP

OK, I’ve wrangled with this for hours to no avail, so I’m going to trouble you guys with more questions. I’ve got a model exported from Max 4 using the OBJ exporter (though I’ve also tried the 3DS format directly and applying the texture by hand but that also does weird things) and I can’t get it to texture properly for the life of me.

Here’s a test program, the model the mtl file and the texture if anyone wants to take a peek:

http://samskivert.com/work/2005/jme/objloader.zip

You can extract it into a JME tree and it should compile along with the other tests. The model comes up textured but crazily:

Any pointers would be extremely welcome.

I just imported the obj file it into max7, it comes up the same (roughly) in max.

The only conclusion i can come up with is that the obj file (or mtl file) doesn’t specify texture coordinates properly. Being honest, i dont know alot about the .obj format, so i didnt go through it in notepad.

DP

Hrm. It looks properly textured before we export it and the .obj file definitely contains texture coordinates, but maybe they are all wacky for some reason, though I would have no idea why.