OpenGL1 fog effect not supported by jME

Hahahahaha! And when I saw the title of this thread I instantly knew who the poster was. 10/10 Would read again.

Most of your playerbase will be running GTX 760s and AMD R280s.

1 Like

On a mainstream site, I easily found a card for $30. If you have a laptop it might be different.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150655

Another one minute of searching for mobile graphics cards:

Both support much higher than OpenGL 2.

Ahem… this 25$ CPU has an integrated GPU that is more than capable of doing OpenGL2…

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=95082&vpn=SD2650JAHMBOX&manufacture=AMD&promoid=1443

Seriously, OP, come on… please stop using your imaginary/future user base as an excuse for your crazy expectations…

Either stick with JME 3 or make a text based game.

1 Like

Sigh. Are we sure its not a language issue? It’s seems OP does not speak English as a first language, and they are coming across much more blunt than they mean too.

Dimalenus - are you actually annoyed that this free software doesn’t do what you want it too? By annoyed I mean very annoyed, pissed off, incredulous, angry, do you have a strong emotional feeling of anger and entitlement? Or, are you actually not strongly emotionally invested in this opinion and are just casually discussing this?

Phrases like “this is an insult” make me think you are angry, but also its a weird thing to say. Did you mean “this is an insult to the gpu” - or “this describes the capabilities of my gpu as being less than they really are”. I could easily see this as a mistranslation.

Finally, can you tell us how old you are, how long you’ve been speaking English, what country tour from or what your native language is? Also, basic computer specs as well - desktop or laptop, how much ram, what’s your gou, etc…?

1 Like

His main issue seems to be that his computer has the Intel g31/33 integrated graphics solution. The windows drivers for this chip set only support opengl 1.4, which means:

• Intel dropped the ball at the beginning, as this was a bit out of date even when the chip set launched in 2007.
  • Intel has apparently never heard of cross platform software, as they have never upgraded that part of the driver, though the Linux driver does support opengl 2.0. Note that they upgraded the directX support as recently as 2013, which helps windows only developers…

I think its worth noting that something for $350 usd(for the whole computer). can game at 4k. This dude built something called the potato masher. Its an inexpensive gaming pc using older parts to play game on or above the level of ps4 and xbox one. Otherwise look in to minecraft pi. Its minecraft that runs on a raspberry pie. but the rpi has open gl es 2.

1 Like

There is the solution then - jam ubuntu on the machine, get opengl 2.0.

…i am still completely lost…i just do not understand what is an issue here…JME3.0 runs fantastic over 10+years old card…tested it myself over nVidia FX5950 Ultra, which is, 2003 ? And it works just fine…its basically over 12 years span now…if you are a developer, what else you could desire?? Its fantastic hardware span you will have some seriously hard time to find other engine to cope with, and potential user base you can reach is truly massive…plain and simple, i do not understand what are you complaining about…

His card doesn’t support OpenGL 2 on Windows. So, he wants to use an OpenGL 1 specific feature.

In OpenGL 1, fog was a specific function of the fixed function pipeline. In OpenGL 2, you just do it in a shader. JME 3 does not map to every strange little part of the fixed function pipeline because it is a shader-based engine.

I’m on a really old and low quality laptop and it can handle fog not a problem. So it’s on your end buddy.

The problem here is the fog effect only, as he dosent have an video card and the mainboard is not able to run shadders.
The topic should be renamed to prevent confusion.

1 Like

How about: “OpenGL1 fog effect not supported by jME” ? :chimpanzee_smile:

Renamed or just locked

I didn’t understand that.
I think I could edit the title, but I wanted to ask before acting too quickly.

By the way:
is putting [SOLVED] before solved topics the standard?
I saw people putting it behind as SOLVED.

…topic title is extreme misleading, based on completely wrong assumption…basically, its about developing game on a computer without graphics card and therefore, engine is seriously flawed because it doesn’t render on thin air…im really against modding or deleting posts, but this one is simply overrated and seriously misleading…

Just let this post die guys… bumping it makes it real :wink:

4 Likes

Is it really the kind of answer that he deserves? I’m in the same boat, I won’t put my computers into a trash bin.

You’re welcome, JogAmp’s Ardor3D Continuation supports OpenGL 1 but it’s like JMonkeyEngine 2.85 in terms of features… LibGDX dropped support of OpenGL 1 as far as I know, am I wrong?

N.B: I maintain JogAmp’s Ardor3D Continuation.

2 Likes

In every other case, I would be with you, but not here. Sometimes it needs harder words to get through the hull :wink: As you can read yourself, it’s always the same: A question of behavior. Asking questions without really wanting to hear the answers but blaming everything which doesn’t get away fast enough. Sorry…

OT: I haven’t said that anyone should throw his computer in the trash bin! This would be a waste. I don’t do this myself :wink: But I tend to use the right machine for the choosen project. If this doesn’t work, I change the project. But I don’t blame (e.g.) nehon for not doing work (supporting OpenGL 1 until 2050 or so) which itself is obsolete in my opinion.

When started OpenGL 2-support? Is there a chipset which could be taken as a minimum? e.g.: geforce 4xxx / amd 9xxx and later? I have a few older graphics-cards here, and if one of those supports OpenGL 2 and the shipping isn’t that expensive, I would give it away.

Yes, but not the one he needs right now.

I don’t blame the other contributors. I think that open source projects are often a mean of sharing the efforts, not yet another place to behave as a customer. There is nothing that can be demanded and other developers are welcome to contribute.