OSX Info.plist and configure JDK logging

I tried to help out with some testing of Makers Tale on Mac and have some problems configuring the logging. I’m pretty new to OSX and need to know if my expectations are wrong or if I’m doing something stupid.

So, I wanted to setup ALL-level on the JDK-logging. I found the logging-properties-file in

‘MakersTale.app/Contents/Resources/Java/logging.properties’ and changed that and ran the application.

No logs :frowning:

Instead tried running from a bash shell with ./JavaApplicationStub

Still no logs monkey sad

So I looked in the ‘MakersTale.app/Contents/Info.plist’ it says (among other things):

[xml]

<dict>

<key>VMOptions</key>

<string>-XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=1024m -Xmx512m -Djava.util.logging.config.file=“logging.properties” </string>

<key>WorkingDirectory</key>

<string>$APP_PACKAGE/Contents/Resources/Java</string>

<key>MainClass</key>

<string>com.afterhoursgamestudio.hex.Main</string>

<key>JVMVersion</key>

<string>1.5+</string>

<key>ClassPath</key>

<string>$JAVAROOT/MakersTale.jar</string>

<key>Properties</key>

<dict>

<key>apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar</key>

<string>true</string>

</dict>

</dict>

[/xml]

So in a bash-shell I went to ‘MakersTale.app/Contents/Resources/Java’ and issued:

java -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=1024m -Xmx512m -Djava.util.logging.config.file=“logging.properties” -jar MakersTale.jar

Now I got all the logs I wanted.

So questions: Is this expected on OSX i.e. that logging is ignored? Or did I do something wrong?

The logging on OSX is global, open the “Console” app to see the log.

@normen said:
The logging on OSX is global, open the "Console" app to see the log.

Yeah, that was a nice app to search the log files and also helped me find them in the file system, OSX can be confusing :)
Do you know if java.util.logging is somehow ignored/reconfigured when launching with the JavaApplicationStub and even if I specify a FileHandler in the logging.properties-file in Info.plist it won't be used?

Hm, idk I never tried this way. What if you just do it in code instead?

Not my code so I can’t in this case but I’ll try that out some day. The simple workaround is launching java -jar so it isn’t a big deal. Fun fact: Searching on google lead me back to this thread, jmonkeyengine ranks high on their indexes :smiley:

Thanks for your time.

@jmaasing said:
jmonkeyengine ranks high on their indexes :D

Cause we are the only ones foolish enough to spill all our game, shader and programming knowledge in an OSS project ;)