Out of memory loading blend file

Hi

I got Sketchup model of city. I exported it to obj (107 MB) and edited in blender for few layers. So i got 3 files (3 layers) of that city, each about 33mb. But when i try to import it in JME i get Out of memory Java heap size though that i have set: -Xmx2g

See some of the post in this topic, they may help. Pay close attention to what @pspeed has to say regarding this issue.

I suggest you resize your files (including images) to 14.4 MB in total or smaller. Increasing your java heap or anyother memory earlier indicated won’t totally solve the “problem”. 14.4MB is enough for my games and for any other commercial game out there.

Right now when you try to load a 33mb file it will give you an out of memory error. Try reducing it to 14.4 MB or less. I know this because I’ve been performing these kinds of test this week.

@Pixelapp any other commercial game out there.
DICE must have missed that memo when they released 24gb worth of Battlefield 4 last week ;)

@thetoucher

His error comes from the direct memory buffer and not from the Hard drive. So that should solve the “problem”.

@thetoucher you might want to have a look at this [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CruQY55HOk[/video]

It explains the intricacies of it all.

LoL thanks @Pixelapp, I do understand, hence why pointed the OP to the post above, I was just poking fun =)… 24gb does include a lot of very hi poly models and super hi res textures, that will be well in excess of 14.4mb .

And for a JME comparison, I loaded over 40 mb of mesh and image data into The Cove, not including the 8 or so in memory variations made at runtime for majority of the textures, I don’t know how much memory it ended up using by the time all the meshes got duplicated and batched together (easily 100’s of MB I would guess)… and I did have horrible memory issues with that until I brought the overall in memory footprint to under 900mb I think it was… again, larger than 14.4mb :wink:

@thetoucher I don’t know why you increased your memory, but I don’t have the time right now to go into that untested territory. I’m capping mine at 14.4mb, and hence when I do the same for android it gives me an out of buffer memory error. So my caps are 14.4 MB for PC and 5.0 MB for android mobile. So, I think the test benchmark I ran it’s pretty clear.

It is nice that you don’t see any memory problems anyways. But right now my benchmarks are clear and my game is ending up like a grand theft auto IV game, and I’ve only used 1/4 of my total computing power available on both pc and mobile. :slight_smile:

You can see proof here: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/kartex-racing-game-news/ and those pics are only using 1/6 of the total computing power on my consumer-testing machines. Also, I can bring more screen-shots with the big guns if you like. :slight_smile:

To get back to the original topic, wich java version do you use? also 32bit or 64bit?