Packaged app freezes when jme3-jogg is used

I am packing my game as a Windows execuitable file to test on another computer that has no JRE/JDK installed.

• When I use the raw Wav files, the game plays without issues.
  • When I use the ogg files and jme3-jogg, the app never opens.

I tested packing without an exe file and run the game from the OpenJDK-jre I included with the game and when I run on console I get the following on the test computer.

Aug 06, 2023 6:25:06 PM com.jme3.system.JmeDesktopSystem initialize
INFO: Running on jMonkeyEngine 3.6.1-stable
 * Branch: HEAD
 * Git Hash: 4de10c3
 * Build Date: 2023-06-23

and it stays there. I can release the game with the wav files and without jogg but I got curious about why with jogg it freezes. Perhaps I am missing something.

Note: The game runs fine on my dev machine with jogg

Any help is appreciated, but thankfully it is not urgent

1 Like

We need more clues to figure out why this happens. Could you re-run it until it freezes and then get a thread dump using jstack?

Sorry for not responding. I was adding new features.

I decided to use jconsole to look into the issue and compared my computer to the test machine and noticed something. The LWJGL Timer thread is missing in the target machine when it’s supposed to be present like in this image

From what I can tell… I think the issue is with the antivirus, Avast, since sometimes it intrudes in the games and freezes them, I am testing workarounds beside adding an exception to the AV.

I am also going to test with packr since I read some Launch4j wrappings may fight with some antivirus

By the way, you may also want to take a look at this issue. (just in case related)

1 Like

Thank, I will check it out. I found something else.

The test machine (my wife’s) has Avast and when a new app is run it runs it on sandbox mode, and sometimes it breaks the app. I had a test without jogg and it still froze, I only added gamepad support using jme-lwjgl3.

still tracking it when I can access her computer again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, It seems packr from LibGdx works better than Launch4j from my tests with Avast Antivirus. with jogg and gamepad it works fine.

When we publish the game via executable, we need to give the advice to either add the exception before executing, or restart the computer after the AV clears the game.

1 Like